The new iPhone 15
1liz1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2012 6:49 PM

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@dduttonnc wrote:

@1liz1 wrote:

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

As ppl said. Won't happen. ANY carrier with a modern phone REQUIRES even a basic plan. Get a basic plan, cheap, the turn off cell data on ur iPhone. This prevents u from getting an ipad, iPhone etc and ending up with a few thousand bucks

This way,  u pay very little for a small data plan, then turn off cell data. This prevents u from going over. Keep in mind with data off, u can only send basic non picture texts. Once on wifi, u can use iMessage to other iPhone users and do whatever you like

more then mms will not work with this method - there are other functions like visual voice mail for 1 example that require cellular data, turn it off and no voicemail for missed calls. Also unless they already have a individual or family plan only Mobile Share is available now, individual and family plans have ben discontinued for new customers, and it is required that you choose a shared data amount

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It's not about being cheap, it's about being smart. If you have wifi access at home & work, why pay $30 a month for data? If you don't get it, that says more about you than the OP.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@fabe76248 wrote:

It's not about being cheap, it's about being smart. If you have wifi access at home & work, why pay $30 a month for data? If you don't get it, that says more about you than the OP.

Not sure what you think it "says about me" I follow the rules in my personal life and in the company I own. Lots of situations in life have requirements that will not be waived no matter what, an example of this would be mandatory auto insurance, mandatory home owners insurance on a house that has a lien against it.

The top 3 carriers require that a data plan be attached to a smaty phone under regualr contracts, you want to utilize a smartphone with out a data plan then get a gophone plan, simples as that. It's all about following the rules that are given to you.Besides you don't have to pay 30.00 a month, there are cheaper plans available AND they give you unlimited talk and text.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

if you are on a pre paid plan no data is required.  TRUE? EMPLOYEE?  l am so sad and tired.  An ATnT employee wasted40 minutes with me on the phone and woulo not answer that Exact Same Question.  Am i hearing the truth here?  

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

No data is required on a GoPhone plan only. Any other plans require data for smartphones.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

Another thing to remember, the iphone has functions that require cellular data, such as visual voice mail. Without a data plan it will not work

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

Another thing to remember, the iphone has functions that require cellular data, such as visual voice mail. Without a data plan it will not work

I (as well as several family members) have Visual Voicemail working on my prepaid iPhone without a data plan/package. I've been using mine since June of 2012 and it did not show up until about late June or early July of this year, but it still works. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

I (as well as several family members) have Visual Voicemail working on my prepaid iPhone without a data plan/package. I've been using mine since June of 2012 and it did not show up until about late June or early July of this year, but it still works. 

Interesting, Apple states cellular data required, mine does not work when I turn off cellular data either or place it in ariplane mode - which it is in alot sice the phlistines still will not let me use my cell in the air

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

Interesting, Apple states cellular data required, mine does not work when I turn off cellular data either or place it in ariplane mode - which it is in alot sice the phlistines still will not let me use my cell in the air

Note he says "without a data plan", not without a data connection. Perhaps there is a way to allow a data connection on prepaid without having a data plan for items like MMS and visual voice mail, i.e. functions that require a data connection but don't count against a data plan. 

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

You can go on prepaid on our network and not have any data plan requiremeint, this includes the iPhone. You just have to specify when go to a store or even over the phone that you don't want to have one of the smartphone plans.

With that being said, VVM may not work since you don't have an active data connection. MMS will work however as long as you have celluar data turned on (the device won't be able to access the the internet, but will be able to send picture messages)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.