Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

Contributor

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

[ Edited ]

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Message 1 of 97 (155,798 Views)
Expert

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

freediverx wrote:
Just because something is in the contract doesn't make it any less evil.

just becasue you feel it is evil does not make it any less of a legally binding contractual agreement. Lots of things in the world are evil, they have existed for milineums past and will exist into the future. Go prepaid and you will not be required to have a data plan, but then again iphone is not supported for prepaid so you are on your own

Message 61 of 97 (4,528 Views)

Yes I do!
Message 62 of 97 (4,323 Views)

THANK YOU!!!

DOes this work for any carrier?  Where I live, there is a monopoly controlled by the local phone company and Verizon is the only cell carrier in the area.

Message 63 of 97 (4,325 Views)
Master

AnonymousAmputees wrote:

THANK YOU!!!

DOes this work for any carrier?  Where I live, there is a monopoly controlled by the local phone company and Verizon is the only cell carrier in the area.

No, it won't work on Verizon Wireless.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 64 of 97 (4,305 Views)
Teacher

Please, I think we both know it has very little to do with you wanting to reuse an "old" iPhone but more about you wanting to use a phone in a manner that best suits you, regardless of whether it goes against carrier policy.   I mean, what's the difference between using an "older" model iPhone and a newer one?  Are you saying that had it been an iPhone 4S insteadof an older iPhone model, you wouldn't be asking about wanting to use it on AT&T without a data plan?

I said I would "probably" feel not BAD! I did not say I will get a new phone.

Message 65 of 97 (4,229 Views)
Contributor

wow, this was a helpful answer. "quit being cheap and pay for the complete service required to own a smartphone." there are so many replies to this that involve some people's parents and being cheap about sending their kids to decent schools.
Message 66 of 97 (3,473 Views)
Expert

SpikeDroid wrote:
wow, this was a helpful answer. "quit being cheap and pay for the complete service required to own a smartphone." there are so many replies to this that involve some people's parents and being cheap about sending their kids to decent schools.

if it comes down to that they don;t need a smartphone, besides the schools do not allow any phone to be used when in class. Sorry in 95 percent of the cases outside of a business no one needs a smartphone, want one - yes, need one no

Message 67 of 97 (3,468 Views)
Highlighted
Master

SpikeDroid wrote:

You're right, it's almost unbelievable what comes out of some peoples' mouths. Unfortunately, most of them do not understand - or are unaware that "cheaper" alternatives exist! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 68 of 97 (3,445 Views)
ACE - Master

YoungKeyno wrote:
All of the people that are posting doesn't know anything. I have AT&T and I am using an iPhone 4 with no data plan. The secret to doing this is by cutting your sim card on your current phone to fit your iPhone. Use a razor and a nail filer. Whatever plan you can use on your other phone will work for the iPhone. I had calling and unlimited text messaging so that carried over for me. I don't need all the other crap and just use wifi. So simple. Good luck. Disregard EVERYTHING ELSE on this post.

You should consider yourself lucky. Just because you haven't had a data plan automatically added doesn't mean your "solution" will work for everyone. I'm sure there is a reason your iphone has not been detected and a data plan added and most likely has nothing to do with cutting your sim card. Take the time to search this forum and you will see many posts from people that had a data plan added when they put their sim into a smart phone. Are you saying none of those people know what they are talking about?

Of course, this only pertains to post paid plans. If you are on a pre-paid plan, data is not required.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 69 of 97 (2,994 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

1liz1 wrote:

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

As ppl said. Won't happen. ANY carrier with a modern phone REQUIRES even a basic plan. Get a basic plan, cheap, the turn off cell data on ur iPhone. This prevents u from getting an ipad, iPhone etc and ending up with a few thousand bucks

This way,  u pay very little for a small data plan, then turn off cell data. This prevents u from going over. Keep in mind with data off, u can only send basic non picture texts. Once on wifi, u can use iMessage to other iPhone users and do whatever you like

Message 70 of 97 (2,813 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

YoungKeyno wrote:
All of the people that are posting doesn't know anything. I have AT&T and I am using an iPhone 4 with no data plan. The secret to doing this is by cutting your sim card on your current phone to fit your iPhone. Use a razor and a nail filer. Whatever plan you can use on your other phone will work for the iPhone. I had calling and unlimited text messaging so that carried over for me. I don't need all the other crap and just use wifi. So simple. Good luck. Disregard EVERYTHING ELSE on this post.

Youngkenyo:

BAD ADVICE as your phone carrier may constitute that as FRAUD and terminate your acct. I've seen friends do this and att, sprint, etc TERMINATED THEM. Don't screw with your SIM cards.  It was one thing wwhe u needed to trim a Sim to fit a micro sim slot when those devices first came out... But cutting a SIM to defraud your mobile carrier to get a plan that you shouldn't be able to get/keep???

BAD ADVICE. Ppl here know what they are talking about. They just didn't offer an immoral solution. 

<---- ex att employee, ex sprint employee.  I'm a computer engineer. I've worked for many companies, and they don't take kindly to being defrauded, or breaking ToS. You've been LUCKY

keep it up and one day, att will terminate your acct, or FORCE u off that sim and onto a current plan

dont listen to this person... Bad advice!!!!

Message 71 of 97 (2,811 Views)
Expert

dduttonnc wrote:

1liz1 wrote:

As ppl said. Won't happen. ANY carrier with a modern phone REQUIRES even a basic plan. Get a basic plan, cheap, the turn off cell data on ur iPhone. This prevents u from getting an ipad, iPhone etc and ending up with a few thousand bucks

This way,  u pay very little for a small data plan, then turn off cell data. This prevents u from going over. Keep in mind with data off, u can only send basic non picture texts. Once on wifi, u can use iMessage to other iPhone users and do whatever you like

more then mms will not work with this method - there are other functions like visual voice mail for 1 example that require cellular data, turn it off and no voicemail for missed calls. Also unless they already have a individual or family plan only Mobile Share is available now, individual and family plans have ben discontinued for new customers, and it is required that you choose a shared data amount

Message 72 of 97 (2,788 Views)
Tutor

It's not about being cheap, it's about being smart. If you have wifi access at home & work, why pay $30 a month for data? If you don't get it, that says more about you than the OP.

Message 73 of 97 (2,632 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

fabe76248 wrote:

It's not about being cheap, it's about being smart. If you have wifi access at home & work, why pay $30 a month for data? If you don't get it, that says more about you than the OP.

Not sure what you think it "says about me" I follow the rules in my personal life and in the company I own. Lots of situations in life have requirements that will not be waived no matter what, an example of this would be mandatory auto insurance, mandatory home owners insurance on a house that has a lien against it.

The top 3 carriers require that a data plan be attached to a smaty phone under regualr contracts, you want to utilize a smartphone with out a data plan then get a gophone plan, simples as that. It's all about following the rules that are given to you.Besides you don't have to pay 30.00 a month, there are cheaper plans available AND they give you unlimited talk and text.

Message 74 of 97 (2,629 Views)
Scholar

if you are on a pre paid plan no data is required.  TRUE? EMPLOYEE?  l am so sad and tired.  An ATnT employee wasted40 minutes with me on the phone and woulo not answer that Exact Same Question.  Am i hearing the truth here?  

Message 75 of 97 (2,263 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.