The new iPhone 15
1liz1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2012 6:49 PM

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Yes I do!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

THANK YOU!!!

DOes this work for any carrier?  Where I live, there is a monopoly controlled by the local phone company and Verizon is the only cell carrier in the area.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

@AnonymousAmputees wrote:

THANK YOU!!!

DOes this work for any carrier?  Where I live, there is a monopoly controlled by the local phone company and Verizon is the only cell carrier in the area.

No, it won't work on Verizon Wireless.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Please, I think we both know it has very little to do with you wanting to reuse an "old" iPhone but more about you wanting to use a phone in a manner that best suits you, regardless of whether it goes against carrier policy.   I mean, what's the difference between using an "older" model iPhone and a newer one?  Are you saying that had it been an iPhone 4S insteadof an older iPhone model, you wouldn't be asking about wanting to use it on AT&T without a data plan?

I said I would "probably" feel not BAD! I did not say I will get a new phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

wow, this was a helpful answer. "quit being cheap and pay for the complete service required to own a smartphone." there are so many replies to this that involve some people's parents and being cheap about sending their kids to decent schools.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@SpikeDroid wrote:
wow, this was a helpful answer. "quit being cheap and pay for the complete service required to own a smartphone." there are so many replies to this that involve some people's parents and being cheap about sending their kids to decent schools.

if it comes down to that they don;t need a smartphone, besides the schools do not allow any phone to be used when in class. Sorry in 95 percent of the cases outside of a business no one needs a smartphone, want one - yes, need one no

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@SpikeDroid wrote:

You're right, it's almost unbelievable what comes out of some peoples' mouths. Unfortunately, most of them do not understand - or are unaware that "cheaper" alternatives exist! 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@YoungKeyno wrote:
All of the people that are posting doesn't know anything. I have AT&T and I am using an iPhone 4 with no data plan. The secret to doing this is by cutting your sim card on your current phone to fit your iPhone. Use a razor and a nail filer. Whatever plan you can use on your other phone will work for the iPhone. I had calling and unlimited text messaging so that carried over for me. I don't need all the other crap and just use wifi. So simple. Good luck. Disregard EVERYTHING ELSE on this post.

You should consider yourself lucky. Just because you haven't had a data plan automatically added doesn't mean your "solution" will work for everyone. I'm sure there is a reason your iphone has not been detected and a data plan added and most likely has nothing to do with cutting your sim card. Take the time to search this forum and you will see many posts from people that had a data plan added when they put their sim into a smart phone. Are you saying none of those people know what they are talking about?

Of course, this only pertains to post paid plans. If you are on a pre-paid plan, data is not required.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

@1liz1 wrote:

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

As ppl said. Won't happen. ANY carrier with a modern phone REQUIRES even a basic plan. Get a basic plan, cheap, the turn off cell data on ur iPhone. This prevents u from getting an ipad, iPhone etc and ending up with a few thousand bucks

This way,  u pay very little for a small data plan, then turn off cell data. This prevents u from going over. Keep in mind with data off, u can only send basic non picture texts. Once on wifi, u can use iMessage to other iPhone users and do whatever you like

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

@YoungKeyno wrote:
All of the people that are posting doesn't know anything. I have AT&T and I am using an iPhone 4 with no data plan. The secret to doing this is by cutting your sim card on your current phone to fit your iPhone. Use a razor and a nail filer. Whatever plan you can use on your other phone will work for the iPhone. I had calling and unlimited text messaging so that carried over for me. I don't need all the other crap and just use wifi. So simple. Good luck. Disregard EVERYTHING ELSE on this post.

Youngkenyo:

BAD ADVICE as your phone carrier may constitute that as FRAUD and terminate your acct. I've seen friends do this and att, sprint, etc TERMINATED THEM. Don't screw with your SIM cards.  It was one thing wwhe u needed to trim a Sim to fit a micro sim slot when those devices first came out... But cutting a SIM to defraud your mobile carrier to get a plan that you shouldn't be able to get/keep???

BAD ADVICE. Ppl here know what they are talking about. They just didn't offer an immoral solution. 

<---- ex att employee, ex sprint employee.  I'm a computer engineer. I've worked for many companies, and they don't take kindly to being defrauded, or breaking ToS. You've been LUCKY

keep it up and one day, att will terminate your acct, or FORCE u off that sim and onto a current plan

dont listen to this person... Bad advice!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.