The new iPhone 15
1liz1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2012 6:49 PM

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

An iphone without data plan will be expensive than one with data plan.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@tohapply wrote:

An iphone without data plan will be expensive than one with data plan.

Perhaps when it comes time to purchasing the phone at the unsubsidized price, but using an iPhone on a prepaid plan will be significantly cheaper in the long run as opposed to paying for a data plan every month on a postpaid plan. Data plans for smartphones are not mandatory on GoPhone plans, but users may opt for them if they'd like. 

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

It is possible! http://ipod.about.com/od/internationaliphone/qt/iph_data_roam.htm

I called At&t and turned off my cellular data

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@cheapfemale wrote:
It is possible! http://ipod.about.com/od/internationaliphone/qt/iph_data_roam.htm

I called At&t and turned off my cellular data

If you have a standard contract, att will turn it back on. read your terms of service, no matter what you will get charged data per the legally binding agreement that you signed. Actully find it amazing that they actual agreed to turn it off in the first place since the account showed a smartphone on it. Lets add to teh fact your link talks about data roaming, and not a data plan - two completely different things

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

I believe that you can block data on a phone, however, you still need to pay the data plan, even if data is blocked, which defeats the purpose unless you want to avoid international data roaming

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@kdfederer wrote:
I believe that you can block data on a phone, however, you still need to pay the data plan, even if data is blocked, which defeats the purpose unless you want to avoid international data roaming

Beleive it has been stated here they will not even allow a data block to be placed on a smartphone

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@kdfederer wrote:

You don't need a data block to prevent international roaming with an iphone. Simply turn off data roaming in the settings. I'm not sure about other smart phones but would expect they have the same capability.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

@graphite07

#1, stop telling people to "quit being cheap." For someone on a budget who has good access to wifi internet at home and at work, it is perfectly reasonable to want the option of a smartphone without the ridiculously priced data plans that mobile service providers offer.

#2 when shopping for an iPhone on Apple's website, the page containing details on different carriers and service plans seems to allow an AT&T plan option without a data plan. In contrast to the TMobile and Verizon plan pages, the AT&T page seems to allow you to select a voice plan while text and data plans appear to be optional.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Just because something is in the contract doesn't make it any less evil.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@freediverx wrote:
Just because something is in the contract doesn't make it any less evil.

just becasue you feel it is evil does not make it any less of a legally binding contractual agreement. Lots of things in the world are evil, they have existed for milineums past and will exist into the future. Go prepaid and you will not be required to have a data plan, but then again iphone is not supported for prepaid so you are on your own

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.