Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

Contributor

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

[ Edited ]

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Message 1 of 97 (155,783 Views)

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I thought on prepaid you have the option to select a data plan. Fox, the $65 unl talk/text comes with 1gb of data. Would this work on an iphone?

Message 46 of 97 (8,200 Views)
Expert

lavette_artis wrote:

I thought on prepaid you have the option to select a data plan. Fox, the $65 unl talk/text comes with 1gb of data. Would this work on an iphone?

unknown, search the net for this information - if may or may not work, if it does not you can;t go to ATT for assistance

Message 47 of 97 (8,193 Views)

I have prepaid and they do have a $65 plan that includes 1gb: 

$65 Smartphone Monthly Plan with Data HelpPlan includes 1GB of Data usage. Unused data allowances do not rollover. When data usage exceeds 1GB, data usage for the remainder of the 30 days will be charged at 5¢/MB, and will automatically be deducted from your account balance

$65.00/monthUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited1GB

SO, if it works on a iphone is questionable and no assistance is available. Is this just for iphones or any smartphones?

Message 48 of 97 (8,188 Views)

Also, they allow postpaid csutomers to convert to prepaid all the time..So, I am not sure as to why it would not work

Message 49 of 97 (8,189 Views)
Expert

lavette_artis wrote:

Also, they allow postpaid csutomers to convert to prepaid all the time..So, I am not sure as to why it would not work

correct - but the iphone is not supported as a prepaid device, you are on your own if you have problems with getting it to work, no att technical assistance

Message 50 of 97 (8,190 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Key word supported and that includes other brands best call and confirm.

Message 51 of 97 (8,190 Views)
Teacher

An iphone without data plan will be expensive than one with data plan.

Message 52 of 97 (8,111 Views)
Master

tohapply wrote:

An iphone without data plan will be expensive than one with data plan.

Perhaps when it comes time to purchasing the phone at the unsubsidized price, but using an iPhone on a prepaid plan will be significantly cheaper in the long run as opposed to paying for a data plan every month on a postpaid plan. Data plans for smartphones are not mandatory on GoPhone plans, but users may opt for them if they'd like. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 53 of 97 (8,081 Views)
Voyager

It is possible! http://ipod.about.com/od/internationaliphone/qt/iph_data_roam.htm

I called At&t and turned off my cellular data
Message 54 of 97 (7,975 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

cheapfemale wrote:
It is possible! http://ipod.about.com/od/internationaliphone/qt/iph_data_roam.htm

I called At&t and turned off my cellular data

If you have a standard contract, att will turn it back on. read your terms of service, no matter what you will get charged data per the legally binding agreement that you signed. Actully find it amazing that they actual agreed to turn it off in the first place since the account showed a smartphone on it. Lets add to teh fact your link talks about data roaming, and not a data plan - two completely different things

Message 55 of 97 (7,970 Views)
ACE - Expert

I believe that you can block data on a phone, however, you still need to pay the data plan, even if data is blocked, which defeats the purpose unless you want to avoid international data roaming
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 56 of 97 (7,955 Views)
Expert

kdfederer wrote:
I believe that you can block data on a phone, however, you still need to pay the data plan, even if data is blocked, which defeats the purpose unless you want to avoid international data roaming

Beleive it has been stated here they will not even allow a data block to be placed on a smartphone

Message 57 of 97 (7,953 Views)
ACE - Master

kdfederer wrote:

You don't need a data block to prevent international roaming with an iphone. Simply turn off data roaming in the settings. I'm not sure about other smart phones but would expect they have the same capability.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 58 of 97 (7,940 Views)

[ Edited ]

@graphite07

#1, stop telling people to "quit being cheap." For someone on a budget who has good access to wifi internet at home and at work, it is perfectly reasonable to want the option of a smartphone without the ridiculously priced data plans that mobile service providers offer.

#2 when shopping for an iPhone on Apple's website, the page containing details on different carriers and service plans seems to allow an AT&T plan option without a data plan. In contrast to the TMobile and Verizon plan pages, the AT&T page seems to allow you to select a voice plan while text and data plans appear to be optional.

Message 59 of 97 (7,790 Views)

Just because something is in the contract doesn't make it any less evil.
Message 60 of 97 (7,784 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.