The new iPhone 15
1liz1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2012 6:49 PM

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@tikblang wrote:

Come April 2, good bye AT$T  DSL and Home phone

Wireless = I'm STUCKED!!

No you are not, you can etf out and call it quits across the board. Just don;t expect to go to verizon or sprint, they have the exact same policy no smartphone without a data plan. I think you can go to t-mobile still with a BYOD and not be required to have a data plan. Anothe point, is your current gsm phone eligible for a unlock?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Using AT&T's prepaid GoPhone service is the only way to use an iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter) without having to subscribe to a data plan. I love my GoPhone service - wouldn't change it for any other carrier at the moment.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I had a text phone break.  We had a spare smartphone.  It was advanced enough to disable wireless data.

How does using a phone like that cost ATT anything more than the previous phone did?

I can see having a data plan requirement for a new 2 yr phone, but for an old phone it seems one-sided.

I think we need to contact our public service commisions and attempt to get rules like this changed.  The carriers do use our public airwaves.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@mr_albert wrote:

I had a text phone break.  We had a spare smartphone.  It was advanced enough to disable wireless data.

How does using a phone like that cost ATT anything more than the previous phone did?

I can see having a data plan requirement for a new 2 yr phone, but for an old phone it seems one-sided.

I think we need to contact our public service commisions and attempt to get rules like this changed.  The carriers do use our public airwaves.

No, they use broadband spectrum frequencies that they paid a lot of money and in some cases re-occurring yearly charges to the goverment and the FCC to be able ot use it. In no way shape or form is it "public airwaves" nor is it any wway shape or form free. Niehte is the infrastructure that the carrier builds out in the same of towers, right of way, public easement or private payments for use of the land that the towers are built on.

thier infrastructure, their rules

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I thought on prepaid you have the option to select a data plan. Fox, the $65 unl talk/text comes with 1gb of data. Would this work on an iphone?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@lavette_artis wrote:

I thought on prepaid you have the option to select a data plan. Fox, the $65 unl talk/text comes with 1gb of data. Would this work on an iphone?

unknown, search the net for this information - if may or may not work, if it does not you can;t go to ATT for assistance

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I have prepaid and they do have a $65 plan that includes 1gb: 

$65 Smartphone Monthly Plan with Data HelpPlan includes 1GB of Data usage. Unused data allowances do not rollover. When data usage exceeds 1GB, data usage for the remainder of the 30 days will be charged at 5¢/MB, and will automatically be deducted from your account balance

$65.00/month Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited 1GB

SO, if it works on a iphone is questionable and no assistance is available. Is this just for iphones or any smartphones?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Also, they allow postpaid csutomers to convert to prepaid all the time..So, I am not sure as to why it would not work

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@lavette_artis wrote:

Also, they allow postpaid csutomers to convert to prepaid all the time..So, I am not sure as to why it would not work

correct - but the iphone is not supported as a prepaid device, you are on your own if you have problems with getting it to work, no att technical assistance

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

Key word supported and that includes other brands best call and confirm.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.