For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
1liz1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2012 6:49 PM

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

"why do people keep asking this? its been posted a million times."

I do hope that 10% of this cell phone users switched and/or did something to show them "G" carriers that they can make their voice count!!

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

IMO a smartphone without a data plan is useless.

If a family is budgeting with kids then they should not be looking at smartphones.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

So you mean a $600 phone will just collect dust (in your cabinet) and buy replace it with a $10 chinese/korean made clamshell phone to do alpaha numeric texting on a number thumbpad and on a 1 inch screen?

I think it will be fun memorizing the keys, finding the question mark and emoticons with those cheap phones.

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

11 years ago

@tikblang wrote:

So you mean a $600 phone will just collect dust (in your cabinet) and buy replace it with a $10 chinese/korean made clamshell phone to do alpaha numeric texting on a number thumbpad and on a 1 inch screen?

I think it will be fun memorizing the keys, finding the question mark and emoticons with those cheap phones.

If you can afford to use a $600 phone, surely having to pay an extra $30/month for a data plan isn't gonna kill you financially...will it?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

You guys still don't get it do you?

I have 15 ac chargers, 5 cell phones, 4 laptops, 3 desktop PC's and 2 toaster ovens and they are all collecting dust. 

AT&T is shoving up to my as$ ("assked to be removed) an additional $20/month for texting using a fully functional phone. It seems they want more money instead of helping its "LOYAL" customer save some cash. 

Even though I am not a native english speaker, I know one word that best describe this behavior. It is "GREED"!

Taken from the web;

Greed is the inordinate desire to possess wealth or objects with the intention to keep it for one's self, far beyond the dictates of basic survival and comfort.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@tikblang wrote:

I have 15 ac chargers, 5 cell phones, 4 laptops, 3 desktop PC's and 2 toaster ovens and they are all collecting dust. 

AT&T is shoving up to my as$ ("assked to be removed) an additional $20/month for texting using a fully functional phone. It seems they want more money instead of helping its "LOYAL" customer save some cash. 

Even though I am not a native english speaker, I know one word that best describe this behavior. It is "GREED"!

Taken from the web;

Greed is the inordinate desire to possess wealth or objects with the intention to keep it for one's self, far beyond the dictates of basic survival and comfort.

@tikblang wrote:

AT&T is shoving up to my [removed] an additional $20/month for texting using a fully functional phone. It seems they want more money instead of helping its "LOYAL" customer save some cash. 

Taken from the web;

No you are the one that does not get it - deal with it or go to another carrier. Just make sure to pick a lower tiered carrier since none of the top 3 carriers will allow you to add a smartphone without a mandatory data plan.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

No you are the one that does not get it - deal with it or go to another carrier. Just make sure to pick a lower tiered carrier since none of the top 3 carriers will allow you to add a smartphone without a mandatory data plan.

Are you guys aware that they shove "2" and not 1 year contract to my basic plan. i don't need this line. My company was paying for my Verizon Cell. If  they tell me to return everything and pay for the restocking  fee then I will not be ranting in this forum or better yet, If they at least offer a refurb device so I can use it IN "the" upgraded PLAN then probably I wouldn't feel bad.

Instead they let me use it for more than 90 days and suddenly upgrade my plan without ASKING!!

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

11 years ago

@tikblang wrote:

Are you guys aware that they shove "2" and not 1 year contract to my basic plan. i don't need this line. My company was paying for my Verizon Cell. If  they tell me to return everything and pay for the restocking  fee then I will not be ranting in this forum or better yet, If they at least offer a refurb device so I can use it IN "the" upgraded PLAN then probably I wouldn't feel bad.

Instead they let me use it for more than 90 days and suddenly upgrade my plan without ASKING!!

You can argue all you want about AT&T upgrading your (data) plan without asking but let's cut through all the smoke and just announce for the record what you're really upset about--namely, that AT&T won't let you to use an (old) iPhone without being required to subscribe it to one of AT&T's smartphone data plans.  You want to use an iPhone without being required to subscribe to a smarphone plan?  IIRC there is at least one way to accomplish just that--just Google on how to set up an iPhone on a Go Phone plan and you can get your wish...otherwise, either put up or leave (AT&T) like you keep threatening to do.

Please, I think we both know it has very little to do with you wanting to reuse an "old" iPhone but more about you wanting to use a phone in a manner that best suits you, regardless of whether it goes against carrier policy.   I mean, what's the difference between using an "older" model iPhone and a newer one?  Are you saying that had it been an iPhone 4S insteadof an older iPhone model, you wouldn't be asking about wanting to use it on AT&T without a data plan?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

To tell you the truth - It is the principle! I don't want to live like a horse pulling a carriage with its eyes covered just to see one direction.

if they let me out of this contract and pay 35% and return the unit, I would do that in a heartbeat.

I just cannot swallow the fact that they upgraded my plan without my consent! It is acceptable to me using an antiquated IPHONE to talk and text and pay close to a hundred dollars for the next 19 month but getting surprised that my plan got SWITCHED and shove a plan that I did not need, I got upset!

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Come April 2, good bye AT$T  DSL and Home phone

Wireless = I'm STUCKED!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.