Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 27, 2012
11:49:41 AM
View profile
Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan
Edited by 1liz1 on Aug 27, 2012 at 11:54:19 AM

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Accepted Solution

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

[ Edited ]
96 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(96)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 9:35:58 PM
(0)
Teacher
Not just freedom of choice, but also trying to not to have more and more junk.

Less electronics manufactured meaning less toxic to the environment. (New charger/AC/dc,.... LCD's .. LI batteries and PCB's
Not just freedom of choice, but also trying to not to have more and more junk.

Less electronics manufactured meaning less toxic to the environment. (New charger/AC/dc,.... LCD's .. LI batteries and PCB's

Re: Don't we all!!!

31 of 97 (8,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 10:29:27 PM
(0)
Teacher
"why do people keep asking this? its been posted a million times."

I do hope that 10% of this cell phone users switched and/or did something to show them "G" carriers that they can make their voice count!!
"why do people keep asking this? its been posted a million times."

I do hope that 10% of this cell phone users switched and/or did something to show them "G" carriers that they can make their voice count!!

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

32 of 97 (8,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 10:46:08 PM
(0)
Master

IMO a smartphone without a data plan is useless.

If a family is budgeting with kids then they should not be looking at smartphones.

IMO a smartphone without a data plan is useless.

If a family is budgeting with kids then they should not be looking at smartphones.

33 of 97 (8,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 11:04:10 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by tikblang on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:08:29 AM

So you mean a $600 phone will just collect dust (in your cabinet) and buy replace it with a $10 chinese/korean made clamshell phone to do alpaha numeric texting on a number thumbpad and on a 1 inch screen?

I think it will be fun memorizing the keys, finding the question mark and emoticons with those cheap phones.

So you mean a $600 phone will just collect dust (in your cabinet) and buy replace it with a $10 chinese/korean made clamshell phone to do alpaha numeric texting on a number thumbpad and on a 1 inch screen?

I think it will be fun memorizing the keys, finding the question mark and emoticons with those cheap phones.

[ Edited ]
34 of 97 (8,324 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 12:57:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

tikblang wrote:

If you can afford to use a $600 phone, surely having to pay an extra $30/month for a data plan isn't gonna kill you financially...will it?

tikblang wrote:

If you can afford to use a $600 phone, surely having to pay an extra $30/month for a data plan isn't gonna kill you financially...will it?

35 of 97 (8,302 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 2:16:13 PM
(1)
Teacher
Edited by tikblang on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:31:21 PM

You guys still don't get it do you?

I have 15 ac chargers, 5 cell phones, 4 laptops, 3 desktop PC's and 2 toaster ovens and they are all collecting dust. 

AT&T is shoving up to my as$ ("assked to be removed) an additional $20/month for texting using a fully functional phone. It seems they want more money instead of helping its "LOYAL" customer save some cash. 

Even though I am not a native english speaker, I know one word that best describe this behavior. It is "GREED"!

Taken from the web;

Greed is the inordinate desire to possess wealth or objects with the intention to keep it for one's self, far beyond the dictates of basic survival and comfort.

I have 15 ac chargers, 5 cell phones, 4 laptops, 3 desktop PC's and 2 toaster ovens and they are all collecting dust. 

AT&T is shoving up to my as$ ("assked to be removed) an additional $20/month for texting using a fully functional phone. It seems they want more money instead of helping its "LOYAL" customer save some cash. 

Even though I am not a native english speaker, I know one word that best describe this behavior. It is "GREED"!

Taken from the web;

Greed is the inordinate desire to possess wealth or objects with the intention to keep it for one's self, far beyond the dictates of basic survival and comfort.

[ Edited ]
36 of 97 (8,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 4:02:02 AM
(0)
Expert

tikblang wrote:

Taken from the web;

tikblang wrote:

AT&T is shoving up to my [removed] an additional $20/month for texting using a fully functional phone. It seems they want more money instead of helping its "LOYAL" customer save some cash. 

Taken from the web;

No you are the one that does not get it - deal with it or go to another carrier. Just make sure to pick a lower tiered carrier since none of the top 3 carriers will allow you to add a smartphone without a mandatory data plan.

tikblang wrote:

Taken from the web;

tikblang wrote:

AT&T is shoving up to my [removed] an additional $20/month for texting using a fully functional phone. It seems they want more money instead of helping its "LOYAL" customer save some cash. 

Taken from the web;

No you are the one that does not get it - deal with it or go to another carrier. Just make sure to pick a lower tiered carrier since none of the top 3 carriers will allow you to add a smartphone without a mandatory data plan.

37 of 97 (8,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 9:36:35 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by tikblang on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:48:12 AM

Are you guys aware that they shove "2" and not 1 year contract to my basic plan. i don't need this line. My company was paying for my Verizon Cell. If  they tell me to return everything and pay for the restocking  fee then I will not be ranting in this forum or better yet, If they at least offer a refurb device so I can use it IN "the" upgraded PLAN then probably I wouldn't feel bad.

Instead they let me use it for more than 90 days and suddenly upgrade my plan without ASKING!!

Are you guys aware that they shove "2" and not 1 year contract to my basic plan. i don't need this line. My company was paying for my Verizon Cell. If  they tell me to return everything and pay for the restocking  fee then I will not be ranting in this forum or better yet, If they at least offer a refurb device so I can use it IN "the" upgraded PLAN then probably I wouldn't feel bad.

Instead they let me use it for more than 90 days and suddenly upgrade my plan without ASKING!!

[ Edited ]
38 of 97 (8,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 10:31:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

tikblang wrote:

You can argue all you want about AT&T upgrading your (data) plan without asking but let's cut through all the smoke and just announce for the record what you're really upset about--namely, that AT&T won't let you to use an (old) iPhone without being required to subscribe it to one of AT&T's smartphone data plans.  You want to use an iPhone without being required to subscribe to a smarphone plan?  IIRC there is at least one way to accomplish just that--just Google on how to set up an iPhone on a Go Phone plan and you can get your wish...otherwise, either put up or leave (AT&T) like you keep threatening to do.

Please, I think we both know it has very little to do with you wanting to reuse an "old" iPhone but more about you wanting to use a phone in a manner that best suits you, regardless of whether it goes against carrier policy.   I mean, what's the difference between using an "older" model iPhone and a newer one?  Are you saying that had it been an iPhone 4S insteadof an older iPhone model, you wouldn't be asking about wanting to use it on AT&T without a data plan?

tikblang wrote:

You can argue all you want about AT&T upgrading your (data) plan without asking but let's cut through all the smoke and just announce for the record what you're really upset about--namely, that AT&T won't let you to use an (old) iPhone without being required to subscribe it to one of AT&T's smartphone data plans.  You want to use an iPhone without being required to subscribe to a smarphone plan?  IIRC there is at least one way to accomplish just that--just Google on how to set up an iPhone on a Go Phone plan and you can get your wish...otherwise, either put up or leave (AT&T) like you keep threatening to do.

Please, I think we both know it has very little to do with you wanting to reuse an "old" iPhone but more about you wanting to use a phone in a manner that best suits you, regardless of whether it goes against carrier policy.   I mean, what's the difference between using an "older" model iPhone and a newer one?  Are you saying that had it been an iPhone 4S insteadof an older iPhone model, you wouldn't be asking about wanting to use it on AT&T without a data plan?

39 of 97 (8,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 10:53:47 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by tikblang on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:59:11 AM

To tell you the truth - It is the principle! I don't want to live like a horse pulling a carriage with its eyes covered just to see one direction.

if they let me out of this contract and pay 35% and return the unit, I would do that in a heartbeat.

I just cannot swallow the fact that they upgraded my plan without my consent! It is acceptable to me using an antiquated IPHONE to talk and text and pay close to a hundred dollars for the next 19 month but getting surprised that my plan got SWITCHED and shove a plan that I did not need, I got upset!

To tell you the truth - It is the principle! I don't want to live like a horse pulling a carriage with its eyes covered just to see one direction.

if they let me out of this contract and pay 35% and return the unit, I would do that in a heartbeat.

I just cannot swallow the fact that they upgraded my plan without my consent! It is acceptable to me using an antiquated IPHONE to talk and text and pay close to a hundred dollars for the next 19 month but getting surprised that my plan got SWITCHED and shove a plan that I did not need, I got upset!

[ Edited ]
40 of 97 (8,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 11:04:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

Come April 2, good bye AT$T  DSL and Home phone

Wireless = I'm STUCKED!!

Wireless = I'm STUCKED!!

41 of 97 (8,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 11:18:36 AM
(0)
Expert

tikblang wrote:

Wireless = I'm STUCKED!!

No you are not, you can etf out and call it quits across the board. Just don;t expect to go to verizon or sprint, they have the exact same policy no smartphone without a data plan. I think you can go to t-mobile still with a BYOD and not be required to have a data plan. Anothe point, is your current gsm phone eligible for a unlock?

tikblang wrote:

Wireless = I'm STUCKED!!

No you are not, you can etf out and call it quits across the board. Just don;t expect to go to verizon or sprint, they have the exact same policy no smartphone without a data plan. I think you can go to t-mobile still with a BYOD and not be required to have a data plan. Anothe point, is your current gsm phone eligible for a unlock?

42 of 97 (8,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 8:30:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Using AT&T's prepaid GoPhone service is the only way to use an iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter) without having to subscribe to a data plan. I love my GoPhone service - wouldn't change it for any other carrier at the moment.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Using AT&T's prepaid GoPhone service is the only way to use an iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter) without having to subscribe to a data plan. I love my GoPhone service - wouldn't change it for any other carrier at the moment.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

43 of 97 (8,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 4:38:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had a text phone break.  We had a spare smartphone.  It was advanced enough to disable wireless data.

How does using a phone like that cost ATT anything more than the previous phone did?

I can see having a data plan requirement for a new 2 yr phone, but for an old phone it seems one-sided.

I think we need to contact our public service commisions and attempt to get rules like this changed.  The carriers do use our public airwaves.

I had a text phone break.  We had a spare smartphone.  It was advanced enough to disable wireless data.

How does using a phone like that cost ATT anything more than the previous phone did?

I can see having a data plan requirement for a new 2 yr phone, but for an old phone it seems one-sided.

I think we need to contact our public service commisions and attempt to get rules like this changed.  The carriers do use our public airwaves.

44 of 97 (7,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 4:45:26 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:45:57 PM

mr_albert wrote:

No, they use broadband spectrum frequencies that they paid a lot of money and in some cases re-occurring yearly charges to the goverment and the FCC to be able ot use it. In no way shape or form is it "public airwaves" nor is it any wway shape or form free. Niehte is the infrastructure that the carrier builds out in the same of towers, right of way, public easement or private payments for use of the land that the towers are built on.

thier infrastructure, their rules

mr_albert wrote:

No, they use broadband spectrum frequencies that they paid a lot of money and in some cases re-occurring yearly charges to the goverment and the FCC to be able ot use it. In no way shape or form is it "public airwaves" nor is it any wway shape or form free. Niehte is the infrastructure that the carrier builds out in the same of towers, right of way, public easement or private payments for use of the land that the towers are built on.

thier infrastructure, their rules

[ Edited ]
45 of 97 (7,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 7:21:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

I thought on prepaid you have the option to select a data plan. Fox, the $65 unl talk/text comes with 1gb of data. Would this work on an iphone?

I thought on prepaid you have the option to select a data plan. Fox, the $65 unl talk/text comes with 1gb of data. Would this work on an iphone?

46 of 97 (7,736 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 8:05:23 AM
(1)
Expert

lavette_artis wrote:

unknown, search the net for this information - if may or may not work, if it does not you can;t go to ATT for assistance

lavette_artis wrote:

unknown, search the net for this information - if may or may not work, if it does not you can;t go to ATT for assistance

47 of 97 (7,729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 8:22:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have prepaid and they do have a $65 plan that includes 1gb: 

$65 Smartphone Monthly Plan with Data HelpPlan includes 1GB of Data usage. Unused data allowances do not rollover. When data usage exceeds 1GB, data usage for the remainder of the 30 days will be charged at 5¢/MB, and will automatically be deducted from your account balance

$65.00/monthUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited1GB

SO, if it works on a iphone is questionable and no assistance is available. Is this just for iphones or any smartphones?

I have prepaid and they do have a $65 plan that includes 1gb: 

$65 Smartphone Monthly Plan with Data HelpPlan includes 1GB of Data usage. Unused data allowances do not rollover. When data usage exceeds 1GB, data usage for the remainder of the 30 days will be charged at 5¢/MB, and will automatically be deducted from your account balance

$65.00/monthUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited1GB

SO, if it works on a iphone is questionable and no assistance is available. Is this just for iphones or any smartphones?

48 of 97 (7,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 8:25:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Also, they allow postpaid csutomers to convert to prepaid all the time..So, I am not sure as to why it would not work

Also, they allow postpaid csutomers to convert to prepaid all the time..So, I am not sure as to why it would not work

49 of 97 (7,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 8:27:37 AM
(0)
Expert

lavette_artis wrote:

correct - but the iphone is not supported as a prepaid device, you are on your own if you have problems with getting it to work, no att technical assistance

lavette_artis wrote:

correct - but the iphone is not supported as a prepaid device, you are on your own if you have problems with getting it to work, no att technical assistance

50 of 97 (7,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 8:32:17 PM
(0)
Master

Key word supported and that includes other brands best call and confirm.

Key word supported and that includes other brands best call and confirm.

51 of 97 (7,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 2:43:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

An iphone without data plan will be expensive than one with data plan.

52 of 97 (7,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 3:11:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

tohapply wrote:

Perhaps when it comes time to purchasing the phone at the unsubsidized price, but using an iPhone on a prepaid plan will be significantly cheaper in the long run as opposed to paying for a data plan every month on a postpaid plan. Data plans for smartphones are not mandatory on GoPhone plans, but users may opt for them if they'd like. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

tohapply wrote:

Perhaps when it comes time to purchasing the phone at the unsubsidized price, but using an iPhone on a prepaid plan will be significantly cheaper in the long run as opposed to paying for a data plan every month on a postpaid plan. Data plans for smartphones are not mandatory on GoPhone plans, but users may opt for them if they'd like. 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

53 of 97 (7,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 11:10:22 PM
(0)
Voyager
It is possible! http://ipod.about.com/od/internationaliphone/qt/iph_data_roam.htm

I called At&t and turned off my cellular data
It is possible! http://ipod.about.com/od/internationaliphone/qt/iph_data_roam.htm

54 of 97 (7,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2013 12:31:46 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:32:48 AM

cheapfemale wrote:

If you have a standard contract, att will turn it back on. read your terms of service, no matter what you will get charged data per the legally binding agreement that you signed. Actully find it amazing that they actual agreed to turn it off in the first place since the account showed a smartphone on it. Lets add to teh fact your link talks about data roaming, and not a data plan - two completely different things

cheapfemale wrote:

If you have a standard contract, att will turn it back on. read your terms of service, no matter what you will get charged data per the legally binding agreement that you signed. Actully find it amazing that they actual agreed to turn it off in the first place since the account showed a smartphone on it. Lets add to teh fact your link talks about data roaming, and not a data plan - two completely different things

[ Edited ]
55 of 97 (7,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2013 5:27:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I believe that you can block data on a phone, however, you still need to pay the data plan, even if data is blocked, which defeats the purpose unless you want to avoid international data roaming
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
I believe that you can block data on a phone, however, you still need to pay the data plan, even if data is blocked, which defeats the purpose unless you want to avoid international data roaming
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

56 of 97 (7,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2013 5:30:50 AM
(0)
Expert

kdfederer wrote:

Beleive it has been stated here they will not even allow a data block to be placed on a smartphone

kdfederer wrote:

Beleive it has been stated here they will not even allow a data block to be placed on a smartphone

57 of 97 (7,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2013 8:00:49 AM
(0)
Former Employee

kdfederer wrote:

You don't need a data block to prevent international roaming with an iphone. Simply turn off data roaming in the settings. I'm not sure about other smart phones but would expect they have the same capability.

kdfederer wrote:

You don't need a data block to prevent international roaming with an iphone. Simply turn off data roaming in the settings. I'm not sure about other smart phones but would expect they have the same capability.

58 of 97 (7,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2013 3:26:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by freediverx on Mar 31, 2013 at 3:29:38 AM

@graphite07

#1, stop telling people to "quit being cheap." For someone on a budget who has good access to wifi internet at home and at work, it is perfectly reasonable to want the option of a smartphone without the ridiculously priced data plans that mobile service providers offer.

#2 when shopping for an iPhone on Apple's website, the page containing details on different carriers and service plans seems to allow an AT&T plan option without a data plan. In contrast to the TMobile and Verizon plan pages, the AT&T page seems to allow you to select a voice plan while text and data plans appear to be optional.

@graphite07

#1, stop telling people to "quit being cheap." For someone on a budget who has good access to wifi internet at home and at work, it is perfectly reasonable to want the option of a smartphone without the ridiculously priced data plans that mobile service providers offer.

#2 when shopping for an iPhone on Apple's website, the page containing details on different carriers and service plans seems to allow an AT&T plan option without a data plan. In contrast to the TMobile and Verizon plan pages, the AT&T page seems to allow you to select a voice plan while text and data plans appear to be optional.

[ Edited ]
59 of 97 (7,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2013 3:32:23 AM
(0)
Tutor
Just because something is in the contract doesn't make it any less evil.
Just because something is in the contract doesn't make it any less evil.

60 of 97 (7,320 Views)