Helpful Links

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

Contributor

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

159,139 Views
Message 1 of 97

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

What a pithy comment.  Have you been anywhere outside the USA and seen how true capitalism works?  In almost every country  you buy the phone you want and the gate keepers vie for your business.  that is competition....not the monopoly we have to deal with.

Message 11 of 97
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan


TheCosmicSnail wrote:

What a pithy comment.  Have you been anywhere outside the USA and seen how true capitalism works?  In almost every country  you buy the phone you want and the gate keepers vie for your business.  that is competition....not the monopoly we have to deal with.


you really need to understasnd the term competition, there are hundreds of carriers viaing for your business, that is competition, beside outside of the US you pay full retail for the phone,

the definition of the term "monoply" in this case would be in relatioin to control of market supply: a situation in which one company controls an industry or is the only provider of a product or service

 

Which in any sense of the term does nto apply to this senario

Message 12 of 97
Teacher

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

The correct term is "oligopoly". It occurs in the first sentence of the article on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly There's a page specifically about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly I'm also curious if the term discussed on the following page has any relation to this discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill Just because US carriers have set up a cartel which involves subsidizing cell phones doesn't mean that forcing customers with unsubsidized phones into unwanted contracts is acceptable behavior. Until today, my opinion of AT&T was not negative (I'm no fan of any of the carriers). Contrary to some people's experience I've had far better customer service from them than my previous providers. However this policy is reprehensible and indefensible. I ditched T-mobile because they wouldn't disable their online store after a phone on my plan was stolen and $300 of charges were rung up on it. I may end up leaving AT&T over this,
Message 13 of 97
Expert

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan


MagnusDredd wrote:
The correct term is "oligopoly". It occurs in the first sentence of the article on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly There's a page specifically about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly I'm also curious if the term discussed on the following page has any relation to this discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill Just because US carriers have set up a cartel which involves subsidizing cell phones doesn't mean that forcing customers with unsubsidized phones into unwanted contracts is acceptable behavior. Until today, my opinion of AT&T was not negative (I'm no fan of any of the carriers). Contrary to some people's experience I've had far better customer service from them than my previous providers. However this policy is reprehensible and indefensible. I ditched T-mobile because they wouldn't disable their online store after a phone on my plan was stolen and $300 of charges were rung up on it. I may end up leaving AT&T over this,

that is your choice, you have hundreds of carriers to choose from, from regionals all the way up to the other two in the triad of carriers in the US.

 Never seen a carrier refuse to disable a phone when it is reported stolen not sure what the "online store" is, but seems that if the phone and the number are disabled no charges should be able to be made, would be curious to have more detail on this.

 

One correction though to your comment - if you bring your own phone to att and do not accept a subsidized phone for normal service you are not "forced" into a contract, you can go month to month with no etf. the only thing required is that you adhere to the terms of service for requirements - in the case of a smartphone - you are required to pay for a data plan - this is pretty much universal on the triad and a lot of tier 4 carriers. there is a major difference between a "contract" and "required services" you can easily have one without the other in every facet of business - take a car for instance, you can "bring your own car" aka pay the full sticker price for it with no finance contract but you are still required to insure the car - one is a contract the other is a required feature of the car.

 

the days of the subsidized phones are in their twilight - t-mobile will be the first US based, german owned company to drop the subsidizing of phone in 2013 if they go through with what is reported

Message 14 of 97
Teacher

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

Hundreds of carriers?  We're discussing cellular service in the US, right?

 

Business 101: Insurance is a form of liability management.  A data plan is a "value added service".  They're NOT comparable.

 

Law 101: The laws governing the use of public roads are legislated by government.  Contracts are legally binding agreements between private parties.  Once again, not remotely comparable.

 

However, the point is moot anyway.  And I suppose that I should be grateful to AT&T.  Their behavior in this regard is so obnoxious that I spoke with some reps at a T-Mobile store.

If I move the four phones on my family plan to T-Mobile unsubsidized, not only will I be able to use smart phones without a data plan, it will save me $70 per month.

Message 15 of 97
Expert

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan


MagnusDredd wrote:

Hundreds of carriers?  We're discussing cellular service in the US, right?

 

Business 101: Insurance is a form of liability management.  A data plan is a "value added service".  They're NOT comparable.

 

Law 101: The laws governing the use of public roads are legislated by government.  Contracts are legally binding agreements between private parties.  Once again, not remotely comparable.

 

However, the point is moot anyway.  And I suppose that I should be grateful to AT&T.  Their behavior in this regard is so obnoxious that I spoke with some reps at a T-Mobile store.

If I move the four phones on my family plan to T-Mobile unsubsidized, not only will I be able to use smart phones without a data plan, it will save me $70 per month.


If you pan on using your iphone better factor inthe etf if they are still inside of 24 months of obtaining them they the 15 business days that it can take for the request to unlock the iphone from att - which if you etf out can only be started after they recieve and process your last months payment and etf if any.

Good luck at t-mobile just make sure you look at and computer every single penny that it will cost you to cut over, and rememebr each individual line has it's own contract end date. you maybe in for some pretty heavy sticker shock, oh and do forget to factor in the first pro-rated bill at your new carrier in the cost computation

Message 16 of 97
Guru

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan


MagnusDredd wrote:

Hundreds of carriers?  We're discussing cellular service in the US, right?

 

Business 101: Insurance is a form of liability management.  A data plan is a "value added service".  They're NOT comparable.

 

Law 101: The laws governing the use of public roads are legislated by government.  Contracts are legally binding agreements between private parties.  Once again, not remotely comparable.

 

However, the point is moot anyway.  And I suppose that I should be grateful to AT&T.  Their behavior in this regard is so obnoxious that I spoke with some reps at a T-Mobile store.

If I move the four phones on my family plan to T-Mobile unsubsidized, not only will I be able to use smart phones without a data plan, it will save me $70 per month.


If those T-Mobile reps are telling you the truth... just remember that you get what you pay for! I have been with T-Mobile and AT&T is leaps and bounds ahead of T-Mobile with coverage, call quality and speed! Good luck to you.
Message 17 of 97
Teacher

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

Regarding coverage:

I live in one of the largest cities in the US.  I was previously with T-mobile and my buddy at work still is.  Coverage at seems comparable  between my phone and his.  Furthermore, when I switched from T-mobile to AT&T I noticed no differences in coverage or call quality at all.  AT&T is reportedly has far more LTE (4G) coverage, but that's irrelavant since voice calls don't use LTE yet.

 

Regarding speed:

Speed?  Are you talking about data?  Did you somehow miss the part where this thread is about NOT wanting the data plan?

 

Regarding T-Mobile service plans:
I went to their website and checked out what the rep said.  They offer nano-SIMs (used ONLY by the iPhone 5??) for Value plans with or without data.  The iPhone 5 is specifically mentioned on the page.  I went so far as to take a couple of minutes to confirm this using their online chat.  Why would they offer iPhone 5 only SIMs for no data plan contracts, if they required a data plan for the iPhone 5?

 

Read the page yourself:
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/ValuePackages.aspx

 

 

To be blunt, I left T-Mobile because they had some really indefensible policies at the time that cost me money.  To make matters worse, their reps responded like their policy was reasonable and offered me no way to manage a liability issue with their service at the time.  I have no love for them.

 

My wife and I have had a much better experience with AT&T's customer service that we previously had with T-Mobile, but once again I'm faced with an indefensible corporate policy that will cost me money I can't afford or ruin my plans for Christmas.  (I planned to pick up a pair of used smart phones to help my wife and I coordinate our lives better.  It's hard enough for us to keep track of what we carry now without having to carry another device.)

Now it's AT&T reps telling me that "Smart Phones require data plans."  The phone itself does NOT require a data plan, it WILL work without one.  AT&T does require a data plan for certain phones, but don't shift blame to the phone.  This manipulative sounding language just made me more angry.  That this forum has a number of individuals communicating like paid PR people and using absurd analogies has also intensified my annoyance.

 

 

Regarding truth:

In my opinion, the only truth when it comes to companies like the cellular carriers is greed.  If they feel that they can make more money with abusive policies, expect exactly that.  If they feel like they can make more money by treating their customers decently, count yourself lucky but watch your back.

Contracts are the only thing worth a small bit of trust.  You can bet I'll be reading the one from T-Mobile.

Message 18 of 97
Teacher

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

ETF:

I just realized what it was you were talking about...

 

You're talking about Early Termination Fees.  Using the acronym ETF instead of saying "termination fees" or "penalties", or "fees to get our of your contract" makes you REALLY sound like a paid PR person.  I'd guess that most people aren't so familiar with cellular industry jargon.  I briefly worked at WorldCom Wireless, but it's been years and it took me a bit to figure out what you were saying...

I'm at or close to the end of my contract on all four phones on my contract.  For $70/month I can cover termination fees prettty quickly  (perhaps 3 months at worst).  The rep suggested that he might be able to provide credit to cover at least some of it.  (I'll believe that when I see it).

 

 

Phone Unlocks:
One of the four phones on my plan is already unlocked.  The whole point of this is that I'll be buying two used smart phones.  That they're unlocked should be understood, although I could also buy a couple of T-mobile Android phones instead.  Whatever...  Either way, this is only an issue for a single phone.

 

I suppose it's good to be aware that I should expect poor behavior from AT&T in this regard as well.  I'll be sure to make sure that I have a back-up plan for the fourth phone.

Message 19 of 97
Scholar

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan


MagnusDredd wrote:

ETF:

I just realized what it was you were talking about...

 

You're talking about Early Termination Fees.  Using the acronym ETF instead of saying "termination fees" or "penalties", or "fees to get our of your contract" makes you REALLY sound like a paid PR person.  I'd guess that most people aren't so familiar with cellular industry jargon.  I briefly worked at WorldCom Wireless, but it's been years and it took me a bit to figure out what you were saying...

 



Oh please...you're joking, right?  I mean, you gave us a "lecture" on "Business 101" and "Law 101" and yet here you are feigning ignorance on the acronym "ETF"?  And this coming from someone who has/had service with one of the major wireless carriers?  Shoot, even I know what ETF stands for, as far as wireless service contracts go...and no, I'm not a paid PR person--I only play one here in this forum. Smiley Wink Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 97
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support