Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

Contributor

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

[ Edited ]

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Message 1 of 97 (155,767 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by Eileen89 (Master)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

1liz1 wrote:

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t netwrok without paying a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? Thanks

not going to happen on a normal account, data is required for any smartphone, if you don;t add one, one will be added automaticly. You try try prepaid sims, while they do work, you are on your own to get it working - att will not supply any assistance

Message 2 of 97 (154,570 Views)
Professor

why do people keep asking this? its been posted a million times. you can not use the Iphone for text/calling only. must have the DATA plan..quit being cheap and pay for the complete service  required to own a smartphone.

Message 3 of 97 (154,446 Views)
Mentor

3G/3GS/4/4s must be GSM, not CDMA. Locked AT&T , or unlocked they work fine. I had been using an iPhone 4s on the $25 plan before switching to straight talk. Later, if you'd like data, google "APN + Gophone" there you'll see what steps you'd need for data if you so choose. I also made good use (still do) of google voice over wifi, it helped a lot managing 250min offered from AT&T
Message 4 of 97 (154,439 Views)
Mentor

My above post is only for Pre-Paid service only. If you plop your sim card into any smartphone using your current acct, they will automatically add that data package. Evil
Message 5 of 97 (154,439 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

tosh323 wrote:
My above post is only for Pre-Paid service only. If you plop your sim card into any smartphone using your current acct, they will automatically add that data package. Evil

no, conditions for utilizing a smartphone - not evil in the least just the contracts that the majority of people do not read before they sign

One thing you forgot to mention on your above post - if problems occur do not try and call the carrier becasue it is not supported and they will not supply any technical support, you are on your own to find the resolution to the issue

Message 6 of 97 (154,365 Views)
Master

You've got to go prepaid if you want the privilege of using an iPhone without a data plan. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 on a $25 monthly plan with NO data plan. I also had a 3GS working on this as well.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 7 of 97 (154,296 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Would you like a free unicorn with your purchase, too?
Message 8 of 97 (153,995 Views)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:
You've got to go prepaid if you want the privilege of using an iPhone without a data plan. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 on a $25 monthly plan with NO data plan. I also had a 3GS working on this as well.

This is the correct answer to using an iPhone on AT&T without a data plan. I have both of my kids using my old iPhone 3GS and 4 on AT&T's prepaid service without a data plan. When they need data they simply use WiFi when it's available.

Message 9 of 97 (153,830 Views)

Don't we all!!!

It seems that almost ALL of the rest of the WORLD can get an Iphone or Smartphone and use it as they wish.  Freedom of the marketplace and Freedom of choice.  But only in a very few countries is there a monopoly on what technology you can use and where you can use it.  The USA of "freedom" is one of those countries.  Call your congressman and urge all AT&T competitors to start offering Smartphones without the obligatory data plan.  FREEEEEDOMMMMMM!

Message 10 of 97 (144,960 Views)

What a pithy comment.  Have you been anywhere outside the USA and seen how true capitalism works?  In almost every country  you buy the phone you want and the gate keepers vie for your business.  that is competition....not the monopoly we have to deal with.

Message 11 of 97 (144,962 Views)
Expert

TheCosmicSnail wrote:

What a pithy comment.  Have you been anywhere outside the USA and seen how true capitalism works?  In almost every country  you buy the phone you want and the gate keepers vie for your business.  that is competition....not the monopoly we have to deal with.

you really need to understasnd the term competition, there are hundreds of carriers viaing for your business, that is competition, beside outside of the US you pay full retail for the phone,

the definition of the term "monoply" in this case would be in relatioin to control of market supply: a situation in which one company controls an industry or is the only provider of a product or service

Which in any sense of the term does nto apply to this senario

Message 12 of 97 (144,855 Views)
Teacher

The correct term is "oligopoly". It occurs in the first sentence of the article on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly There's a page specifically about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly I'm also curious if the term discussed on the following page has any relation to this discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill Just because US carriers have set up a cartel which involves subsidizing cell phones doesn't mean that forcing customers with unsubsidized phones into unwanted contracts is acceptable behavior. Until today, my opinion of AT&T was not negative (I'm no fan of any of the carriers). Contrary to some people's experience I've had far better customer service from them than my previous providers. However this policy is reprehensible and indefensible. I ditched T-mobile because they wouldn't disable their online store after a phone on my plan was stolen and $300 of charges were rung up on it. I may end up leaving AT&T over this,
Message 13 of 97 (139,131 Views)
Expert

MagnusDredd wrote:
The correct term is "oligopoly". It occurs in the first sentence of the article on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly There's a page specifically about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly I'm also curious if the term discussed on the following page has any relation to this discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill Just because US carriers have set up a cartel which involves subsidizing cell phones doesn't mean that forcing customers with unsubsidized phones into unwanted contracts is acceptable behavior. Until today, my opinion of AT&T was not negative (I'm no fan of any of the carriers). Contrary to some people's experience I've had far better customer service from them than my previous providers. However this policy is reprehensible and indefensible. I ditched T-mobile because they wouldn't disable their online store after a phone on my plan was stolen and $300 of charges were rung up on it. I may end up leaving AT&T over this,

that is your choice, you have hundreds of carriers to choose from, from regionals all the way up to the other two in the triad of carriers in the US.

Never seen a carrier refuse to disable a phone when it is reported stolen not sure what the "online store" is, but seems that if the phone and the number are disabled no charges should be able to be made, would be curious to have more detail on this.

One correction though to your comment - if you bring your own phone to att and do not accept a subsidized phone for normal service you are not "forced" into a contract, you can go month to month with no etf. the only thing required is that you adhere to the terms of service for requirements - in the case of a smartphone - you are required to pay for a data plan - this is pretty much universal on the triad and a lot of tier 4 carriers. there is a major difference between a "contract" and "required services" you can easily have one without the other in every facet of business - take a car for instance, you can "bring your own car" aka pay the full sticker price for it with no finance contract but you are still required to insure the car - one is a contract the other is a required feature of the car.

the days of the subsidized phones are in their twilight - t-mobile will be the first US based, german owned company to drop the subsidizing of phone in 2013 if they go through with what is reported

Message 14 of 97 (139,099 Views)
Teacher

Hundreds of carriers?  We're discussing cellular service in the US, right?

Business 101: Insurance is a form of liability management.  A data plan is a "value added service".  They're NOT comparable.

Law 101: The laws governing the use of public roads are legislated by government.  Contracts are legally binding agreements between private parties.  Once again, not remotely comparable.

However, the point is moot anyway.  And I suppose that I should be grateful to AT&T.  Their behavior in this regard is so obnoxious that I spoke with some reps at a T-Mobile store.

If I move the four phones on my family plan to T-Mobile unsubsidized, not only will I be able to use smart phones without a data plan, it will save me $70 per month.

Message 15 of 97 (138,692 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.