The new iPhone 15
1liz1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2012 6:49 PM

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@1liz1 wrote:

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t netwrok without paying a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? Thanks

not going to happen on a normal account, data is required for any smartphone, if you don;t add one, one will be added automaticly. You try try prepaid sims, while they do work, you are on your own to get it working - att will not supply any assistance

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

why do people keep asking this? its been posted a million times. you can not use the Iphone for text/calling only. must have the DATA plan..quit being cheap and pay for the complete service  required to own a smartphone.

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

3G/3GS/4/4s must be GSM, not CDMA. Locked AT&T , or unlocked they work fine. I had been using an iPhone 4s on the $25 plan before switching to straight talk. Later, if you'd like data, google "APN + Gophone" there you'll see what steps you'd need for data if you so choose. I also made good use (still do) of google voice over wifi, it helped a lot managing 250min offered from AT&T

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

My above post is only for Pre-Paid service only. If you plop your sim card into any smartphone using your current acct, they will automatically add that data package. Evil

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@tosh323 wrote:
My above post is only for Pre-Paid service only. If you plop your sim card into any smartphone using your current acct, they will automatically add that data package. Evil

no, conditions for utilizing a smartphone - not evil in the least just the contracts that the majority of people do not read before they sign

One thing you forgot to mention on your above post - if problems occur do not try and call the carrier becasue it is not supported and they will not supply any technical support, you are on your own to find the resolution to the issue

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

You've got to go prepaid if you want the privilege of using an iPhone without a data plan. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 on a $25 monthly plan with NO data plan. I also had a 3GS working on this as well.

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

12 years ago

Would you like a free unicorn with your purchase, too?

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

12 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
You've got to go prepaid if you want the privilege of using an iPhone without a data plan. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 on a $25 monthly plan with NO data plan. I also had a 3GS working on this as well.

This is the correct answer to using an iPhone on AT&T without a data plan. I have both of my kids using my old iPhone 3GS and 4 on AT&T's prepaid service without a data plan. When they need data they simply use WiFi when it's available.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

It seems that almost ALL of the rest of the WORLD can get an Iphone or Smartphone and use it as they wish.  Freedom of the marketplace and Freedom of choice.  But only in a very few countries is there a monopoly on what technology you can use and where you can use it.  The USA of "freedom" is one of those countries.  Call your congressman and urge all AT&T competitors to start offering Smartphones without the obligatory data plan.  FREEEEEDOMMMMMM!

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

What a pithy comment.  Have you been anywhere outside the USA and seen how true capitalism works?  In almost every country  you buy the phone you want and the gate keepers vie for your business.  that is competition....not the monopoly we have to deal with.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.