The new iPhone 15
Adammusic's profile

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 5:34 AM

Voicemail transcription / visual voicemail not working / iOS 10 / iphone 6...

Visual voicemail aka voicemail transcription isn't working on my brothers iphone 6 on ios10. Any idea how to get it to work? Is there an ATT setting under My Account to turn on visual voicemail?

Ive only tried Resettting Network settings on the iphone so far.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Add me to the list.  When I get voicemails about 50% of the time I get a message on the voicemail screen of my Iphone 6S that says "Transcription not available".  When that message appears the play back triangle and the message bar are grayed out and the message length shows 0.00 to 0.00 even though the caller has actually left a message.  There is no way to retrieve the message and no way to disable the transcription feature.  Apple had me do the reset network setting thing after doing a hard reset and all that accomplished was to lose all my network parrsords which I now have to find and re-enter so beware if you decide to try this. Siri is, and has been, set up with American English. Prior to having the transcription feature I had zero problems with my voicemail. Apple really messed this one up by not doing adequate field testing and by not having an option to turn off trasnscription.  Now aparantly Apple and ATT are pointing fingers at each other.  Comon guys, let's get together and get this serious problem fixed!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I was told by Apple it is only supported on iPhone 6 S and iPhone Plus 6S Make sure you know if you have the S model. I assumed my iPhone 6 Plus was S and it is not! It is only a year old and I cannot upgrade for 2 yrs. The Transcription will not work until then, sad to say.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Agreed. It's still an issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I HATE this beta transcription "feature" Apple added to my iPhone OS :   As Bart Simpson once said: I didn't know something can blow and suck at the same time

This "feature" eats up my whole iPhone screen, freezes and won't move off the screen to let me get to the choices of Delete, Call Back, etc.

I have many vm's/day and I need to move through them quickly: this "feature" is a total LOSER and reduces my productivity greatly.

Was told by wireless carrier (AT&T) they cannot Disable it: it's an Apple "feature" added to iOS9 & higher iPhones. 

Apple Tech Support said it's part of Visual Voicemail and I would need AT&T to eliminate Visual Voicemail and return to some older version of vm notification.

My solution: apple.com\feedback and give them as much ammo as possible to come up with a patch to Disable this #@%& beta transcription. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

@la_villette wrote:

I HATE this beta transcription "feature" Apple added to my iPhone OS :   As Bart Simpson once said: I didn't know something can blow and suck at the same time

This "feature" eats up my whole iPhone screen, freezes and won't move off the screen to let me get to the choices of Delete, Call Back, etc.

I have many vm's/day and I need to move through them quickly: this "feature" is a total LOSER and reduces my productivity greatly.

Was told by wireless carrier (AT&T) they cannot Disable it: it's an Apple "feature" added to iOS9 & higher iPhones. 

Apple Tech Support said it's part of Visual Voicemail and I would need AT&T to eliminate Visual Voicemail and return to some older version of vm notification.

My solution: apple.com\feedback and give them as much ammo as possible to come up with a patch to Disable this #@%& beta transcription. 

Anyone know how to turn this "feature" OFF?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I just want this crappy transcription beta off my phone (iphone SE).  The feature does not work and I can't listen to any voicemail messages.  The transcription usually gets cut short and the message window won't stay open long enough to read the message.  If it's Beta, why did they give it to everyone before it was ready?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Anyone know how to turn this "feature" OFF?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Unfortunately you cannot turn it off. Apple doesn't give you that option. Mine is working about 50% of the time. The only work around is to retrieve your voice mails the old fashion way by calling your number and entering a password. Big step backwards but it works.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I agree. This feature is not ready and Apple should be ashamed for jamming it down our throats!
One shortcut to retrieving voicemails the old-fashioned way is to push and hold the number "1" on you phone keypad. This will take you to the old manual voicemail retrieval system quickly. Then press "7" to delete or "9" to save.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jdemon55 wrote:

I just want this crappy transcription beta off my phone (iphone SE).  The feature does not work and I can't listen to any voicemail messages.  The transcription usually gets cut short and the message window won't stay open long enough to read the message.  If it's Beta, why did they give it to everyone before it was ready?

I think it's just the actual text transcription that's supposed to be beta, I don't think it should be affecting your ability to listen to the voicemail function at all.

Why? They probably need a HUGE sample of voicemails to practice with, rolling it out was a way to get that...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.