For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Kwolney's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, March 12th, 2017 8:39 PM

Visual voicemail with Verizon phone on att network

I have switched to a borrowed iPhone which is an unlocked Verizon version. I have the original iPhone plan and have had nothing but repeated problems with att service. They originally changed the plan even after assuring me multiple times they did not, then when changing the plan back they changed the rates, and now they supposedly have returned the plans and rates but have deleted voicemail all together. On calling to have this corrected they said they can give me basic voicemail but not visual voicemail because it is not compatible with the non-att phone. Everything I know and have read about the technology says that that information is not correct but they refuse to turn on the feature even though it is included in my plan. I had a 35 minutes conversation with customer service and a supervisor but all they would say is that it doesn't work so the system turned it off.

Anyone have any information on this subject?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

If you have the original iPhone plan,  you may want to review the plan compared to the current offer.  

Your old plan has limited services.  If you want full service, you need to consider anplan that offers full service.  

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I have had visual voicemail with my original plan since I had the original iPhone in 2007. They are not denying that I have it as part of my plan they are saying since the phone is not att hardware it will not work thus they will not activate it. They told me if I bought the att iPhone it would then work.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I finally called again and was able to get a customer service person that was more knowledgable and she did fix the issue.  She agreed that it had nothing to do with my hardware and all about the fact that they had put in the wrong code into my service after they messed it up and then I had to repeatedly call them to correct it.  So far this was the 5th call and I still do not believe that it is fully correct.  I am just amazed that both the customer service rep AND the supervisor were so adamant that it was not  a feature that would work on my hardware when I knew that was false.  I wasted yet another 35 minutes on the phone with them to get nowhere and requiring yet another call.  I believe they were trying give me incorrect information to force me into purchasing a AT&T phone which they suggested multiple times.

Even though I do not want to lose my grandfathered plan, AT&T has done so much to make it not worth staying with them.  After fixing my issue the service rep tried to sell me on the new AT&T unlimited (which restricts video streaming so it is NOT worth it) but I will not do anything that would lock me into staying with AT&T at this point.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Kwolney wrote:

I finally called again and was able to get a customer service person that was more knowledgable and she did fix the issue.  She agreed that it had nothing to do with my hardware and all about the fact that they had put in the wrong code into my service after they messed it up and then I had to repeatedly call them to correct it.  So far this was the 5th call and I still do not believe that it is fully correct.  I am just amazed that both the customer service rep AND the supervisor were so adamant that it was not  a feature that would work on my hardware when I knew that was false.  I wasted yet another 35 minutes on the phone with them to get nowhere and requiring yet another call.  I believe they were trying give me incorrect information to force me into purchasing a AT&T phone which they suggested multiple times.

Even though I do not want to lose my grandfathered plan, AT&T has done so much to make it not worth staying with them.  After fixing my issue the service rep tried to sell me on the new AT&T unlimited (which restricts video streaming so it is NOT worth it) but I will not do anything that would lock me into staying with AT&T at this point.

@Kwolney

the new unlimited data plans dont restrict video streaming I am on the new unlimited plus plan and turned stream saver off and have full data use just like you for cheaper.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

The "AT&T UNLIMITED CHOICE" plan ($60) which is what they were trying to switch me to since it would reduce my billing cost does limit the video streaming rate to SD quality.  (SD Video - Video streamed at max of 1.5Mbps (about 480p))

The "AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS" plan ($90) is what you are speaking of.  This is more expensive than what I am paying now but can stream HD video with the Stream Saver turned off.  (HD Video Stream video in HD quality, when available, with Stream Saver turned off.)

From:  https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Kwolney wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76

The "AT&T UNLIMITED CHOICE" plan ($60) which is what they were trying to switch me to since it would reduce my billing cost does limit the video streaming rate to SD quality.  (SD Video - Video streamed at max of 1.5Mbps (about 480p))

The "AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS" plan ($90) is what you are speaking of.  This is more expensive than what I am paying now but can stream HD video with the Stream Saver turned off.  (HD Video Stream video in HD quality, when available, with Stream Saver turned off.)

From:  https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

@Kwolney

helps if you do say what plan in your prior posts......

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

If you are having the same problem (no visual voicemail on an unlocked non-AT&T iPhone), call technical support and ask them to change your visual voicemail "class of service" from Android to iPhone.  For some reason, for visual voicemail purposes, AT&T's system treats the unlocked / Verizon iPhones as Android devices by default and visual voicemail doesn't work unless it's configured on AT&T's end for an iPhone.  The Level 1 support likely won't be able to fix this, but they can connect you to advanced technical support who can and should know right away what to do.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I had to try several times. I finally got a knowledgable AT&T customer
service person, which are rare from my experience, that acknowledged that
the service was just switched off and she didn't know why. She reset it
and it is working fine. Of course I was without it for over a month and
lost all the saved voicemails that I had previously had but it is working.
They repeatedly tried to sell me a new plan and new phone - I think that is
why they did this with the motivation that it would cause me to change my
grandfathered plan and upgrade the phone.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

7 years ago

I have the same problem, an unlocked verizon model iphone 7 on at&t service where visual voicemail doesn't work.  I have the Gophone service though and the at&t technical support people (supposedly the level 2 folks) told me that visual voicemail won't work with verizon model iphones on Gophone service specifically.  HST04, do you know if your fix has worked with the gophone service or just regular postpaid service?

Also, if anyone reading this has used an unlocked verizon model iphone with gophone could you tell me if visual voicemail is working or not for you.

Thank you.  I would like very much to get this problem fixed!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I have no definitive knowledge that what worked for me would work for the gophone plan but I would not trust what they is truth. The original person argued with me for a very long time as did the supervisor that my phone would not work because it was Verizon. When I finally got someone that knew her stuff (and wasn't just trying to sell me a new AT&T phone) she fixed it quickly. She also said that what they told me was completely not true, it wasn't my phone, it was their (AT&Ts) conscious choice to not turn on the service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.