For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
nyhunter77's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 12:52 PM

Very very very slow hspa+ data speeds on Iphone 4S

Just curious how many other people are having dead slow data speeds on the iphone 4S on the Hspa+ network AND Wifi?

I've switched phones once already and changed sims last night. Nothing seems to improve.

The Iphone4 was awesome at everything in the Chicago &  New York areas.

Now at least in Chicago, I can't get down speeds more than 0.6 mb down and up speeds of no more than 0.1 mb.

I usually have zero connection to the data network in most places as well except underground in the subway on one area of north downtown. 😮

I don't know what to do as I have sold my Iphone4 already, I can't go back. No one seems to be complaining about this issue to ATT or stores though.  Am I the only one ???

So in addition, it's very slow on my wifi network as well while I have a few laptops and an ipad doing fine.  My significant other's older apple device and computer are fine speed wise as well.

Any suggestions? or are u guys just fine?

Thanks,

Ken

Mentor

• 

66 Messages

12 years ago

Well if it's wifi only and it's happening on all devices couldn't it be your router? Maybe it just happened to mess up when you updated, unlikely but it could happen. Borrow a friends router or buy one and if it's the router keep the new one, and if not, return the router make sure they accept returns first, then if it's not the router try modem?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

It's on many wifi areas.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

12 years ago

Just did an interesting test. I got my 4S yesterday and although the WiFi speeds seem fine, I was getting horrible speeds on 3G at my house. Using the Speedtest app, my 3G download speeds were only about 0.3 Mbps! Strangely, just after I activated the phone, I tried and was getting between 4-5 Mbps, but after the first time it dropped to 0.3. Tried multiple times last night and again this morning in case it was just a temporary tower problem. Still 0.3, and I double checked with the Cisco speed app, and got the same slow result.

Then, I moved the SIM card from my 4S back to my old 4 (updated with iOS 5) and tried it. I got 4-5 Mbps in the old 4! Tried 3 times in a row, and got the same result. Put the SIM card back into the 4S, and now it's showing 4-5 Mbps consistently.

Don't know what this means. Maybe the SIM card wasn't seated fully in the 4S and pulling it out and then back in reset the connections. Has anyone tried reinserting the SIM or resetting Network Settings to see if that clears it up for them?

This shouldn't affect a WiFi speed problem if that's your problem, but I never had a problem with my WiFi speeds on either my 4S or the 4 after updating to iOS 5.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

That's certainly strange, I think I'll try taking out and putting back the Sim card just for the heck of it later. for the 3G speeds though, at least since last week, I suspect that that has been AT&T's problem. they never said anything and customer service didn't seem to know anything about it but I've read a few times online how service has been really low since last week DataWise throughout the country.

Other than in my immediate neighborhood, HSPA plus have gotten up to decent speeds. In my neighborhood, it's still slow cellular speeds, I'd like to use my Wi-Fi at its faster speeds but I guess that's not possible, thinking that it's iOS 5.

After your updates here, I'm thinking maybe it's the router? the Wi-Fi speeds in many places for my iPhone 4S are very slow though but I ordered a new router in any case, I'm going to give that a try. mine is still an old 802 11 B so I just ordered an N because it was on sale.

I hope that will help fix the problems I have at home. that won't help at all my Wi-Fi connections outside though. My Wi-Fi at home was registering too slow even now for me to use voice to text programs. I had to go back to 3G. That's ludicrous!

Other suggestions?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I am glad you found the answer. It doesn't appear to be an issue with either iOS 5 or iOS 5.0.1 after all...

Thank you for making me feel more confident in updating my own iPhone to iOS 5, should the need ever come. I am glad to hear that it was just the router's problem.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

No problem.  It's weird, must have just been coincidence because when I had my iphone 4, speeds were great. Now, had to make this change for everything to work right.

So just an update, a day later and my home wifi is still going strong!

Looks like this solved my home issues, life is much better now.

Strange thing though, now my ipad is getting faster speeds than my iphone4s, you'd think it'd be the other way around.

I actually would say I love the features in ios5 though. I couldn't see going back. I love the (android) ripped off reminder screen and i love finally being able to change most of the system sounds.  As an aside, I hated the email sound, i use the quieter windows vista email sound now on the iphone, to those who know when they hear it, they look at me surprised 🙂

Anyways, looks like problem solved for now 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

You are definitely not alone on that boat. I do not know what the problem is but I am experiencing the same problem. I reach a max of 2.3 mbps and an upload of 1.5 mbps. I dont even think those are 3g speeds. I am in SF so I am capable of reaching the HSPA+ data speeds but I am not. Although when I am on WIFI everything seems to work ok.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

12 years ago

2.3 mbps down / 1.5 up seem like normal 3G speeds to me. That's similar to what I was getting on my 4.

Remember, there are theoretical speeds and actual speeds. No one will get the maximum speed that either 3G or HSPA+ are capable of.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Actually got to really test my 3g outside today, the max i could reach on hspa+ is 1.67 down but i've gotten as high as 4.5 down in the loop in chicago underground in the subway (strange huh?).  My average is .8 or .9 down though, really sad compared to what I got on the 3G iphone4.

I'm still trying to figure out if the towers are still down (they always seem to be degraded) or if HSPA+ works on different towers which would explain why tech support says that new towers are going up everywhere (right).

So I'm still kind of sad as far as the speeds outside.

Oh, Just to add, 5.0.1 doesn't seem to work. I went from 85% to 50% in 3 hours today while i was at church! I usually get it down to 65% so it seems that the power is still fading a lot faster than normal.

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

12 years ago

I returned my 4S and went back to my iPhone 4. I tested the 4S out for 29 days in a lot of locations and in the end I only saw 6Mbps once or twice when I first got the 4S. Speeds on it after that were no where near what they should be for a 4G device. The areas that I tested did have 4G availability too.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.