The new iPhone 15
nyhunter77's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 12:52 PM

Very very very slow hspa+ data speeds on Iphone 4S

Just curious how many other people are having dead slow data speeds on the iphone 4S on the Hspa+ network AND Wifi?

I've switched phones once already and changed sims last night. Nothing seems to improve.

The Iphone4 was awesome at everything in the Chicago &  New York areas.

Now at least in Chicago, I can't get down speeds more than 0.6 mb down and up speeds of no more than 0.1 mb.

I usually have zero connection to the data network in most places as well except underground in the subway on one area of north downtown. 😮

I don't know what to do as I have sold my Iphone4 already, I can't go back. No one seems to be complaining about this issue to ATT or stores though.  Am I the only one ???

So in addition, it's very slow on my wifi network as well while I have a few laptops and an ipad doing fine.  My significant other's older apple device and computer are fine speed wise as well.

Any suggestions? or are u guys just fine?

Thanks,

Ken

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

I am thinking that the 3G network problem was AT&T's. i've hit a few areas today that actually have given me pretty decent speeds up about 4 to 5 MB down. I also read today about a lot of slow data problems that seemed to have happened from the Midwest to the East Coast.

I still have very slow Wi-Fi data speeds though in my home and other people's homes as well as educational institutions. I'm finding that with the very low data speeds around 1 to 2 MB down in most areas I visit, it's still faster right now to leave my phone on cellular data rather than join a Wi-Fi network, that just can't be right.

This leads me to believe that it is iOS five which has given all my Apple devices now a slow Wi-Fi connection. This is really irritating though because I usually receive much faster data speeds everywhere I go when I joined Wi-Fi networks. Now I'm stuck in low gear. are you guys finding this too? Will we will have to wait for Apple to release an update and will it fix this problem?

I have no idea. But, I am annoyed.

Just as an example, I was finally able to re-cache my slacker radio stations. I couldn't do it before because my Wi-Fi connection was so slow on my iPhone. I finally did it today over HSPA plus but at half the speed of my usual Wi-Fi connection. I would have rather use my Wi-Fi and not my cellular data.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

The Wi-Fi issue certainly does not make sense to me. Even with a poor network connection, the speeds for Wi-Fi using my Android phone top out at 52 Mbps. I am sure it is a heck of a lot faster with a full connection.

iOS 5 must be to blame if it is happening on all of your Apple devices. I'm glad I didn't update my iPhone quite yet, if I even do at all...

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Here's hoping for the answer, just noticed the update ios5.0.1 is out, downloading now 😮

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I noticed that in a thread another poster here posted. That was pretty quick from the update to iOS 5.

Cross your fingers... Hopefully the new iOS update will correct possible errors found in the original iOS 5.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Yep, I'll get back to you guys after the install. I'll let you know how it goes.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Nope, did not fix the issue, devices get .6 mb down and .75 upload on WIFI - att dsl elite speed 😞

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder what else there is for you to do, because it's clear that the devices are not the problem if this problem is happening across different Apple devices.

Surely they can't all be bad apples... 😉

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

12 years ago

I'm lost here, is this a problem with the WiFi speeds or the cell data speeds? The WiFi speed on my 4S when connected to my home network is over 5Mbps, which is normal for the connection I have

Mentor

• 

66 Messages

12 years ago

It's a problem for both, means it most be software or hardware but i doubt it's hardware since all his devices worked fine till after update.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Actually. Now I've learned it's probably wifi only. Cell speeds were slow bc AT&T was "degraded"

My wifi speeds on my devices are super slow though and they shouldn't be.
Stinks!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.