The new iPhone 15
nyhunter77's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 12:52 PM

Very very very slow hspa+ data speeds on Iphone 4S

Just curious how many other people are having dead slow data speeds on the iphone 4S on the Hspa+ network AND Wifi?

I've switched phones once already and changed sims last night. Nothing seems to improve.

The Iphone4 was awesome at everything in the Chicago &  New York areas.

Now at least in Chicago, I can't get down speeds more than 0.6 mb down and up speeds of no more than 0.1 mb.

I usually have zero connection to the data network in most places as well except underground in the subway on one area of north downtown. 😮

I don't know what to do as I have sold my Iphone4 already, I can't go back. No one seems to be complaining about this issue to ATT or stores though.  Am I the only one ???

So in addition, it's very slow on my wifi network as well while I have a few laptops and an ipad doing fine.  My significant other's older apple device and computer are fine speed wise as well.

Any suggestions? or are u guys just fine?

Thanks,

Ken

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Eureka!!! I think I found the answer, at least for me. Like a good troubleshooter, I took the time and made single router changes to my router over the last hour.

Usually, I don't think people have to change the broadcast channel of their router but when i made the change from 11 to 7, I found my speeds shot up to where they should be!

It worked for all my i-devices and I hope it stays that way.  I'll confirm that in a few hours and if all is well, I'll let u guys know.

For those who have time and know how to get to the channel settings, change that and see if it works.

I'm guessing someone in my building got a new router and has recently started interfering with mine.

Make some single changes one by one and keep testing ... hopefully you'll find the answer too (it might just be your network and maybe something strange u might never have considered)

In any case, I hope it stays this way.  So for me, my cellular speeds have been somewhat resolved and getting a little better daily it seemes, and my wifi issues are tentatively resolved as well pending a few checks throughout the next few days.

Edit: that reminds me, I'll have to check wifi speeds in my other haunts and at work.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

No one's replied yet so i suppose everyone is actually doing ok with the data speeds and connection?

Try the speedtest app and let me know your speeds and city if you're ok with it.

Actually, my girlfriend's phone just broke, I would like to get her an iphone but i probably will try to Not get her a 4s.

I'd like some more confirmation of problems or nonproblems though, thanks!

Ken

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I am actually having the same issue...I found your post through Google... I think there may be an issue with some of the Iphone 4S's because mine is random.  It gets very slow on WiFi or 3G when I try to use Google or if I'm on Facebook, it just says updating and never works, but I'm still able to do other things like send a text or something like that.  It's just weird but very annoying.  When I reboot the phone and start my Facebook or Google app, the data seems to work fine for about 5 or 10 minutes, then it does it again.... I thought maybe my otterbox case was messing with it, so I took it off the phone and it still did the same thing, just sits there with that stupid little circle spinning at the bottom, and I live in Dallas!!  Like i said, not just 3G but Wifi too...something wrong with this stupid phone, I'm seriously thinkin about going in and trading it for another one and hope the other one is not faulty.....

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Strange thing is, I did test Speedtest while I was having this issue and Speedtest shows fine download/upload speeds....but anything network related like Google or Facebook, it will just sit there and not do anything.  Can't be the apps because they are all up to date and both are doing the same thing....I am wondering how many people have this same problem but just don't realize it as being an issue yet....

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I have been quite dissapointed in the network speed. I don't even know if it is HSPA+ since the icon says 3G.

Wifi speeds are fine.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I would not expect the HSPA+ speeds on the 4S to be that much noticeable nor nearly as reliable as opposed to the good ol' 3G signal. The iPhone will probably be able to handle faster speeds better when an LTE iPhone is released, which will probably be next year.

How are you able to tell the difference, anyway? As far as I know, there is no "4G" indicator on the 4S with the maximum level of service being 3G.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

I'm getting so fed up. I can't believe i'm saying this but if they don't fix this issue before the 30 day return policy, i think i might go android.  There is nothing I can do on this phone at many times and that's unacceptable.  I need a device i can trust to get online when i need it though. Argh!

Some say it's a network issue, some have said that it's iOS5, try tuning off and on this and that. nothing seems to work.

I hope a fix will be found soon.

Scholar

• 

86 Messages

12 years ago

Have you contacted Apple about this?  It's possible the issue is specifically with your device, only way to rule that out is to let Apple evaluate it.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Replaced the phone and then the sim.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

And still having problems such as connecting to the Internet, etc.?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.