The new iPhone 15
Jwalshy98's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, October 13th, 2013 11:55 PM

Using iPhone 5s upgrade like an iPod?

I'm sure this has been asked many times but I have yet to find a solution. I ordered a gold 5s because I had an upgrade. I currently have a basic phone so in order to get the 5s I had to add a data plan. When I recieve the phone and activate am I just able to cancel the data and use a sim card adaptor to put it in my current phone? Also, will the iPhone then be eligable for unlock since its not being currently used? I found ATT MVNO's that I can use if the phone cant be unlocked, I was thinking about net10 or airvoice. I know net10 has LTE but does anybody know if airvoice has it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

After you get the phone and activate it, you should be able to swap your account over to a non-data plan phone. You will have to tell AT&T that you are using a non-smartphone and provide it's IMEI number to tie it to your account before you can drop the data plan.

Since you got the iPhone as an upgrade, it's still under contract whether you use it or not, and won't be eligible for unlocking until the 2-year contract is over.

Former Employee

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

At this time all smartphones require a qualifying smartphone data plan. To ensure the best possible mobile broadband experience and minimize pay per use data billing. Data is also essentially what makes a Smartphone, smart. Data is used to update apps, weather throughout the day. This ensures your device and essentially your life within your phone is current. This is not something you can remove in your billing or device

Unlocking is as follows:

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:

• Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
  • Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies.(Must wait 14 days to have previous phone unlocked once replacing after upgrade)
  • Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee

Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).

Former Employee

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Did you use the eligible upgrade on one line for another line to use? If so then when you receive your new iPhone and call the activate telling them which line this is for. The data you had to add to the basic line for ordering will come off of the basic phone line. If you mean can you use your new iPhone, but cancel the data plan, then no. 

At this time all smartphones require a qualifying smartphone data plan. To ensure the best possible mobile broadband experience and minimize pay per use data billing. Data is also essentially what makes a Smartphone, smart. Data is used to update apps, weather throughout the day. This ensures your device and essentially your life within your phone is current.

Unlocking Information:

If you bought a device from AT&T, it may have been programmed with an IMEI (Subsidy) lock that prevents it from operating with other compatible wireless services. AT&T will provide the necessary Unlock Code upon request, provided AT&T has the Unlock Code, or can reasonably obtain it from the manufacturer, and you have met the unlocking requirements provided below.

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
    • a current AT&T customer
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:
    • Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
    • Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.
    • Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).

• Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks

• Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device at ATT.com/biz.
  • Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year.
  • Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account.
  • In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.
  • AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests

To request an AT&T Mobile Device unlock just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there.
    Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Not to sound rude but that was not helpful at all and quite frankly sounded like one of those indians reading off a script. I know you cannot use a smartphone without a data plan. My question was when I get the phone can I activate it then switch the sims to a basic phone and remove the data, then its not on a smartphone so data can be removed im assuming?

Former Employee

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

That's what I was unclear on, so my answers were broad. No a SIM Card for a Smartphone is different that that of a Smartphone(iPhone) in both the technology on the SIM and in many cases the size. If you upgraded to the iPhone 5S, but would rather continue using your basic phone then calling to activate the new SIM/phone isn't your best option. Until you activate that SIM Card w/iPhone nothing has changed in your account, so all your current plans are still the same and that data is not and will be be included until after activation. What is your plans for the new iPhone?

As well, the unlock information as given in my pervious response is universal.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.