For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Go-'s profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 8:56 PM

Using Existing AT&T Connection with an Unlocked iPhone

Hello!

I am currently using a Nokia Lumia 900, and would like to switch to an iPhone 5S, if possible. I plan on purchasing it from Apple's website directly.

I have a few questions regarding this process:

1. The Lumia 900 uses a larger SIM than the iPhone 5S. I am aware that I can cut the SIM down to size, but I want to avoid risking damage. Can I request a new SIM from ATT with my existing number for the new phone at any time? How?

2. Will there be any issues with my voice/data settings getting carried over to the new phone? What do I need to do?

3. I am currently on a contract with ATT for my Lumia 900. Will I have to pay the termination fee if I swap the SIM to an unlocked iPhone? My contract is expiring in a few months - would it be wiser to change phones at that point?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

I wouldn't recommend cutting the existing SIM down, as the older SIM for the Lumia, is also thicker than the nano-SIM for the iPhone 5s.  You should go to an AT&T corporate store and get a new SIM.  If you go to a Corporate store, it will probably even be free,

Next, you will need to have the store clerk update your account to indicate that you have an iPhone, because the "back-end" settings are different between iPhones and othe smartphones.  If you don't have them switch your account, then you will most likely not have cellular data access, nor visual voice mail working on your iPhone.

For your last point, as long as you keep the line active, you do not need to pay an ETF and your contract will remain as it was before.  Changing phones only impacts your contract if you acquire a new phone from AT&T.  Bringing in your own outside devices, you can change the phones as often as you like, and not impact your contract

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

In addition to what Geekboy provided, there is no termination fee to switch to a new phone. Since you are buying an unlocked phone and paying full price, there would be no new contract. Your current contract would remain in place.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.