The new iPhone 15
lindsayanne0's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 5:20 PM

Use of Wi-Fi when cell service is limited

I'm still iStupid so bear with me.  I don't fully understand the ins and outs of the Wi-Fi use on my iPhone 4.  Where I live, AT&T cell service...well...sucks but I do have satellite Wi-Fi where I live.  I don't really use my cell phone except for texting and checking email and such at home.  I usually only make calls away from home.  SO, what I would like to know:

- Will I get 'dinged' for using my private Wi-Fi on my phone in a limited cell service area?

- Will this use show on my data usage on my phone plan?

- Would there be roaming charges?

- Do I need to turn anything "off" on my phone to avoid roaming charges but still be able to use the WiFi connection?

Thanks!

Yours truly,

iStupid girl

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

12 years ago

You do not get "Dinged" for using private wi-fi. AT&T would prefer that to using their data.
Using the wi-fi will show the data use on your phone as data used, but not out of your monthly allotment.
You get no roaming charges unless you roam on foreign towers (outside the US).

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

kdfederer nailed it (and I love the term iStupid!) 🙂

Using wifi is actually recommended because it's a great way to manage your data use.

Don't forget that there are tons of HotSpots available too. Here's a link to the HotSpot locator:http://www.att.com/gen/general?wtSlotClick=1-0066NY-0-1&pid=13540

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.