Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 17, 2012
9:20:43 AM
View profile
Use of Wi-Fi when cell service is limited

I'm still iStupid so bear with me.  I don't fully understand the ins and outs of the Wi-Fi use on my iPhone 4.  Where I live, AT&T cell service...well...sucks but I do have satellite Wi-Fi where I live.  I don't really use my cell phone except for texting and checking email and such at home.  I usually only make calls away from home.  SO, what I would like to know:

- Will I get 'dinged' for using my private Wi-Fi on my phone in a limited cell service area?

- Will this use show on my data usage on my phone plan?

- Would there be roaming charges?

- Do I need to turn anything "off" on my phone to avoid roaming charges but still be able to use the WiFi connection?

Thanks!

Yours truly,

iStupid girl

I'm still iStupid so bear with me.  I don't fully understand the ins and outs of the Wi-Fi use on my iPhone 4.  Where I live, AT&T cell service...well...sucks but I do have satellite Wi-Fi where I live.  I don't really use my cell phone except for texting and checking email and such at home.  I usually only make calls away from home.  SO, what I would like to know:

- Will I get 'dinged' for using my private Wi-Fi on my phone in a limited cell service area?

- Will this use show on my data usage on my phone plan?

- Would there be roaming charges?

- Do I need to turn anything "off" on my phone to avoid roaming charges but still be able to use the WiFi connection?

Thanks!

Yours truly,

iStupid girl

Accepted Solution

Use of Wi-Fi when cell service is limited

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2012 9:44:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You do not get "Dinged" for using private wi-fi. AT&T would prefer that to using their data.
Using the wi-fi will show the data use on your phone as data used, but not out of your monthly allotment.
You get no roaming charges unless you roam on foreign towers (outside the US).
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
You do not get "Dinged" for using private wi-fi. AT&T would prefer that to using their data.
Using the wi-fi will show the data use on your phone as data used, but not out of your monthly allotment.
You get no roaming charges unless you roam on foreign towers (outside the US).
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Use of Wi-Fi when cell service is limited

2 of 3 (1,264 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 10:45:32 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

kdfederer nailed it (and I love the term iStupid!) Smiley Happy

Using wifi is actually recommended because it's a great way to manage your data use.

Don't forget that there are tons of HotSpots available too. Here's a link to the HotSpot locator:http://www.att.com/gen/general?wtSlotClick=1-0066NY-0-1&pid=13540

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

kdfederer nailed it (and I love the term iStupid!) Smiley Happy

Using wifi is actually recommended because it's a great way to manage your data use.

Don't forget that there are tons of HotSpots available too. Here's a link to the HotSpot locator:http://www.att.com/gen/general?wtSlotClick=1-0066NY-0-1&pid=13540

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Use of Wi-Fi when cell service is limited

3 of 3 (1,245 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments