The new iPhone 15
gphipps's profile

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

Monday, May 7th, 2012 6:05 PM

Use 3GS as Wi-fi Hotspot

My family is taking a trip to Florida next month. I was planning on upgrading to the 5GB tethering plan for the trip and allow my kids to tether to my iPhone via wi-fi to avoid using up their 200MB data plans. I figured my wife could use her Kindle Fire that way also.

I learned today that AT&T says an iPhone 4 or 4S is required to use the iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot. (They say it can be tethered via USB or Bluetooth.) I have a 3GS running iOs 5.x. The option for wi-fi hotspot is in my settings.

My question is, has anyone figured out how to use their 3GS as a hotspot either natively or through an app?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

@gphipps wrote:

My family is taking a trip to Florida next month. I was planning on upgrading to the 5GB tethering plan for the trip and allow my kids to tether to my iPhone via wi-fi to avoid using up their 200MB data plans. I figured my wife could use her Kindle Fire that way also.

I learned today that AT&T says an iPhone 4 or 4S is required to use the iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot. (They say it can be tethered via USB or Bluetooth.) I have a 3GS running iOs 5.x. The option for wi-fi hotspot is in my settings.

My question is, has anyone figured out how to use their 3GS as a hotspot either natively or through an app?

As you have determined, the 3GS can be a hotspot but you can only connect to it via USB or bluetooth. The 3GS is not capable of being a wifi hotspot. This is not an AT&T restriction. Apple decided not to implement the wifi hotspot in the 3GS.

It may be possible to connect the 3GS to a wireless router via USB and then use that router's wifi but you'd have to figure out a way to provide power to the router.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

There are ways that cannot be discussed here but you run the risk of ATT cutting you off......  If you have an unlimited data plan now, you will find your speeds slowed down after 3GB of use which can go quick.

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

12 years ago

I do not currently have an unlimited plan. I have the 200MB plan but was going to upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan.

Why would AT&T cut me off if I have a tethering plan?

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

They wouldn't. They only do that to folks with the unlimited plan who use excessive amounts of data.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@gphipps wrote:
I do not currently have an unlimited plan. I have the 200MB plan but was going to upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan.

Why would AT&T cut me off if I have a tethering plan?

as long as you have a data plan with the tethering option they would not, that is the 5GB plan, it specificly states tethering is available with it.

If you had the old unlomited plan or any of the lower tiered plans they would not cut you off but would automaticly change the plan to one that allows tethering

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

12 years ago

I would keep in mind that if you currently have the 200MB data plan for 15$ and upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan for 50$ you would only be able to downgrade to the 300MB plan for 20$.

Once you change data plans to allow tethering, if your phone has the option for a wifi hotspot it should be enabled for you to use automatically.  If I remember correctly you can only use bluetooth or usb tethering with the iPhone 3GS because of hardware limitations with the phone.  Bluetooth tethering should still work fine with other iphones and ipads, but I don't think the kindle fire supports bluetooth.  

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

12 years ago

@Laid-Back wrote:

I would keep in mind that if you currently have the 200MB data plan for 15$ and upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan for 50$ you would only be able to downgrade to the 300MB plan for 20$.

Thanks for that info. I didn't think of that. Looks like the kids will just have to be happy with their DVD players.

I really wish AT&T would come out with a shared data plan.

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

12 years ago

sandblaster wrote:

As you have determined, the 3GS can be a hotspot but you can only connect to it via USB or bluetooth. The 3GS is not capable of being a wifi hotspot. This is not an AT&T restriction. Apple decided not to implement the wifi hotspot in the 3GS.

It may be possible to connect the 3GS to a wireless router via USB and then use that router's wifi but you'd have to figure out a way to provide power to the router.

I realize it's a hardware restriction and not an AT&T restriction.

Thanks for the idea of the router, but that's more trouble than I want to delve into. The kids will just have to, heaven forbid, entertain themselves!

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@gphipps wrote:

@Laid-Back wrote:

Thanks for that info. I didn't think of that. Looks like the kids will just have to be happy with their DVD players.

We will have to see, the CEO was recently quoated as saying that offering unlimited data was a big mistake.  With that view, I wonder if they ever would offer a shared plan?  It does have it's advantages in cases like yours.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

@gphipps wrote:

@Laid-Back wrote:

We will have to see, the CEO was recently quoated as saying that offering unlimited data was a big mistake.  With that view, I wonder if they ever would offer a shared plan?  It does have it's advantages in cases like yours.

It has been widely reported that both AT&T and Verizon intend to offer shared family data plans and AT&T's offering may be coming fairly soon according to this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57429659-94/at-t-mobility-ceo-family-data-plan-coming-soon-scoop/?tag=txt;title

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.