For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
gphipps's profile

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

Monday, May 7th, 2012 6:05 PM

Use 3GS as Wi-fi Hotspot

My family is taking a trip to Florida next month. I was planning on upgrading to the 5GB tethering plan for the trip and allow my kids to tether to my iPhone via wi-fi to avoid using up their 200MB data plans. I figured my wife could use her Kindle Fire that way also.

I learned today that AT&T says an iPhone 4 or 4S is required to use the iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot. (They say it can be tethered via USB or Bluetooth.) I have a 3GS running iOs 5.x. The option for wi-fi hotspot is in my settings.

My question is, has anyone figured out how to use their 3GS as a hotspot either natively or through an app?

Guru

• 

682 Messages

12 years ago

And there's been chatter about shared data plans for what - 2, maybe 3 years now? It's a little bit like 3DRealms & Gearbox Software saying Duke Nukem Forever was coming out "soon"...and we know how that turned out.

@youngjm wrote:
@wingrider01 I know you love to debate semantics and i am not going to play but if you reread my post, I say they are looking at shared data not that a shared data plan is coming out today.

Enjoy!

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

And there's been chatter about shared data plans for what - 2, maybe 3 years now? It's a little bit like 3DRealms & Gearbox Software saying Duke Nukem Forever was coming out "soon"...and we know how that turned out.

@youngjm wrote:
@wingrider01 I know you love to debate semantics and i am not going to play but if you reread my post, I say they are looking at shared data not that a shared data plan is coming out today.

Enjoy!

I think the difference here is it is not as much speculation by bloggers and wishful thinkers but rather folks from ATT in a better position to speak about it.  We will see but I am not holding my breath and/or thinking it will work for me?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.