Use 3GS as Wi-fi Hotspot

Scholar

Use 3GS as Wi-fi Hotspot

My family is taking a trip to Florida next month. I was planning on upgrading to the 5GB tethering plan for the trip and allow my kids to tether to my iPhone via wi-fi to avoid using up their 200MB data plans. I figured my wife could use her Kindle Fire that way also.

I learned today that AT&T says an iPhone 4 or 4S is required to use the iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot. (They say it can be tethered via USB or Bluetooth.) I have a 3GS running iOs 5.x. The option for wi-fi hotspot is in my settings.

My question is, has anyone figured out how to use their 3GS as a hotspot either natively or through an app?

Message 1 of 23
Master

Re: Use 3GS as Wi-fi Hotspot

sandblaster wrote:

youngjm wrote:

gphipps wrote:

Laid-Back wrote:

I would keep in mind that if you currently have the 200MB data plan for 15$ and upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan for 50$ you would only be able to downgrade to the 300MB plan for 20$.

Thanks for that info. I didn't think of that. Looks like the kids will just have to be happy with their DVD players.

I really wish AT&T would come out with a shared data plan.

We will have to see, the CEO was recently quoated as saying that offering unlimited data was a big mistake.  With that view, I wonder if they ever would offer a shared plan?  It does have it's advantages in cases like yours.

It has been widely reported that both AT&T and Verizon intend to offer shared family data plans and AT&T's offering may be coming fairly soon according to this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57429659-94/at-t-mobility-ceo-family-data-plan-coming-soon-scoop/?t...

Off course I wrote my thoughts yesterday and the news that they are looking at shared data comes out today:-)

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 16 of 23
Expert

youngjm wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

youngjm wrote:

gphipps wrote:

Laid-Back wrote:

I would keep in mind that if you currently have the 200MB data plan for 15$ and upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan for 50$ you would only be able to downgrade to the 300MB plan for 20$.

Thanks for that info. I didn't think of that. Looks like the kids will just have to be happy with their DVD players.

I really wish AT&T would come out with a shared data plan.

We will have to see, the CEO was recently quoated as saying that offering unlimited data was a big mistake.  With that view, I wonder if they ever would offer a shared plan?  It does have it's advantages in cases like yours.

It has been widely reported that both AT&T and Verizon intend to offer shared family data plans and AT&T's offering may be coming fairly soon according to this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57429659-94/at-t-mobility-ceo-family-data-plan-coming-soon-scoop/?t...

Off course I wrote my thoughts yesterday and the news that they are looking at shared data comes out today:-)

where do you see that? Got a link?

Message 17 of 23
Master

Try this thread and the cnet news site plus all the blogs!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 18 of 23
Expert

youngjm wrote:

Again, they say "coming soon" with no set date listed

the linked articles ends with the comment, still see nothing that said it release today as you original comment alluded to

"Whether its AT&T or Verizon that launches the plan first is uncertain. But the company clearly won't be alone in embracing the new model."

Message 19 of 23
Master

@wingrider01 I know you love to debate semantics and i am not going to play but if you reread my post, I say they are looking at shared data not that a shared data plan is coming out today.

Enjoy!

Message 20 of 23
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Again, they say "coming soon" with no set date listed

the linked articles ends with the comment, still see nothing that said it release today as you original comment alluded to

"Whether its AT&T or Verizon that launches the plan first is uncertain. But the company clearly won't be alone in embracing the new model."

Not sure how you managed to interpret youngjm's comment about  "and the news that they are looking at shared data comes out today" as him saying that shared data plans were being released today; guess you must have skipped over the part where he said "the news"...

Message 21 of 23
Highlighted

And there's been chatter about shared data plans for what - 2, maybe 3 years now? It's a little bit like 3DRealms & Gearbox Software saying Duke Nukem Forever was coming out "soon"...and we know how that turned out.

youngjm wrote:
@wingrider01 I know you love to debate semantics and i am not going to play but if you reread my post, I say they are looking at shared data not that a shared data plan is coming out today.

Enjoy!

Message 22 of 23
Master

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

And there's been chatter about shared data plans for what - 2, maybe 3 years now? It's a little bit like 3DRealms & Gearbox Software saying Duke Nukem Forever was coming out "soon"...and we know how that turned out.

youngjm wrote:

Enjoy!

I think the difference here is it is not as much speculation by bloggers and wishful thinkers but rather folks from ATT in a better position to speak about it.  We will see but I am not holding my breath and/or thinking it will work for me?

Message 23 of 23
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support