The new iPhone 15
robgendreau's profile

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016 4:09 PM

Upgrading from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 via Next; swap sim card?

I'm doing a Next Plan upgrade from an iPhone 6s+ to 7+. I've read the instructions about returning the 6s+ somewhere and it mentioned turning off Find my Phone, erasing it, and so on, and also removing its sim card. True? is there some kind of de-activation I have to do first?

And should I pop the old sim into the new iPhone, or activate it separately? I wanna keep the old number and so on. I seem to recall with other new phones I just activated and ignored the sim, but maybe Next is different.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

The easiest way to start service in the new phone is swap the SIM card.  Then you can activate with iTunes.  

What to do before you sell, or trade in your phone. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

I think you can got either route.

I got mine via Next and I think I activated it with the new SIM that came with the new iPhone 7 from AT&T. I wanted to activate it their way in case (in some weird way) it affected the rebate process.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

7 years ago

Note this is what ATT sez here http://www.att.com/att/getstarted/en/phoneguide/en/:

"Use the SIM that came with your new phone to have the best possible experience. If you use another SIM card, you may not be able to utilize some features of your new phone."

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

In this particular case, since an iPhone 6s already supports HD Voice and wifi calling, using the sim from the iPhone 6s should not result in the loss of any features or functionality. However, as a general rule of thumb, it is best to use the sim that comes with the new phone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.