The new iPhone 15
gatorbrit's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Monday, December 6th, 2010 5:54 PM

Upgrading from 3G to iphone 4 - do I swap the SIM?

I have two phones on my plan.  My phone and my wifes.  My phone is eligible for an upgrade to a iphone 4, but my wife's phone isn't.   

I wanted to check whether I could do the following.

1. Order a new upgrade phone for my phone.

2. Then use my wifes sim card in the new phone - in effect let her have the upgrade.

What are the steps to do this?  Is it just a matter of getting the new phone and putting her 3G sim card in it and then syncing with itunes?  Or is there more to it?

Also are the 3g sim cards the same as the 4 sim cards?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

@gatorbrit wrote:

I have two phones on my plan.  My phone and my wifes.  My phone is eligible for an upgrade to a iphone 4, but my wife's phone isn't.   

I wanted to check whether I could do the following.

1. Order a new upgrade phone for my phone.

2. Then use my wifes sim card in the new phone - in effect let her have the upgrade.

What are the steps to do this?  Is it just a matter of getting the new phone and putting her 3G sim card in it and then syncing with itunes?  Or is there more to it?

Also are the 3g sim cards the same as the 4 sim cards?

Thanks

Very doable.  Order the upgrade for you.  When the iPHone 4 arives, call att and tell them you will be activating the new iPhone on your wifes account.  They will swap things around on their system.  The SIMS are not the same size but this is not a problem.  Once ATT does their thing, you will activate the iPhone on your wifes account and the old SIM will be deactivated.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the super quick reply!!

Just as a point of clarification, even though AT&T will only allow me to upgrade one phone right now, they don't really care which one it is then?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

THanks - that's brilliant.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

I'm using a MicroSIM in my 3gs.  You can buy a Microsim tray for a 3 or 3gs off EBay.  You can also buy a cutter for $5 to trim a MiniSIM into a MicroSIM.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.