The new iPhone 15
thecomputergod's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 12:29 AM

Upgrade question

Right now, I'm month-to-month (have been for around 2 years after not liking the Next plan) and am looking to upgrade my iPhone to a new one.  Can I just buy a new iPhone for full price to replace mine and stay with the month-to-month without having to sign up for another plan?  All I'm wanting to change is the phone - nothing else if possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Yelp just order the sim unlocked one from apple

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Well, that sounds easy then.  SIM-free, right?  I guess I've always bought my phone at the store when I've upgraded.  Will I need to take the phone to the store to activate it or anything or can I just restore a backup from my current phone to the new one or ?  I'd like to just do it all myself if I can avoid having to go to an actual store.  Is that possible?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@thecomputergod wrote:

Well, that sounds easy then.  SIM-free, right?  I guess I've always bought my phone at the store when I've upgraded.  Will I need to take the phone to the store to activate it or anything or can I just restore a backup from my current phone to the new one or ?  I'd like to just do it all myself if I can avoid having to go to an actual store.  Is that possible?

Presuming your old phone is an iPhone, yes you can do it all yourself. Just backup your current phone and use that to set up the new phone and presuming your old phone has the same size SIM card, just move the sim to the new phone. If your current sim is the wrong size, then you will need a new sim. Any corporate store will provide that for free. 

Note, you may still need a new sim to take advantage of new capabilities such as HD voice or wifi calling. I just upgraded my wife's phone from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone SE. When I put the sim from the 5 into the SE, I got a text message from ATT saying I needed a new sim to take advantage of new capabilities and I've verified I can't activate wifi calling with the iPhone 5 sim. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@thecomputergod wrote:

Presuming your old phone is an iPhone, yes you can do it all yourself. Just backup your current phone and use that to set up the new phone and presuming your old phone has the same size SIM card, just move the sim to the new phone. If your current sim is the wrong size, then you will need a new sim. Any corporate store will provide that for free. 

Note, you may still need a new sim to take advantage of new capabilities such as HD voice or wifi calling. I just upgraded my wife's phone from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone SE. When I put the sim from the 5 into the SE, I got a text message from ATT saying I needed a new sim to take advantage of new capabilities and I've verified I can't activate wifi calling with the iPhone 5 sim. 

Sounds about like the same upgrade as mine.  I have a 5s and was going to get the SE.  Will the store just let me buy one there and not make me sign up for a new plan?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.