For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Ericamaz's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, September 8th, 2016 12:19 AM

Upgrade-iPhone 7

Question: I am eligible for an upgrade on September 12. Will I be able to pre-order the iPhone 7 via upgrade option without penalty fees? Since I won't actually be receiving, and activating the phone until September 13? Also, I also am grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. If I choose to do an installment plan I won't lose my unlimited data, right? Yes, I definitely need the unlimited data.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Ericamaz You need to make sure when you do it, you make sure that your plan doesn't change.   The default when you sign up is generally to get you a current plan.

Since you can't get a subsidized phone any more that unlimited plan is costing you over $50 a month (add the hidden $17.50 that isn't going towards a new phone to the cost of the $35 data plan).  Are you really using "unlimited" amounts of data???

We don't know where you are in your plan or even what phone you have. This is the AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), we cannot look up your plan so if you want specifics that will really help you, please share more details with us. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

My upgrade is available September 12. Will I be able to pre-order the iPhone 7 without penalty fees?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Ericamaz Are you on Next?

If yes, I would guess not until you've made enough payments.

If you currently have an iPhone, I'd recommend paying it completely off and selling it to Gazelle.com (or put it on eBay), it's probably worth a bit more than the last 6 payments.  The other bonus is you'd be all paid off now and not have to worry about it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Yes.  The general rule is still you can upgrade from your contract the month it expires.   They are not going to begrudge you one day on a preorder.

Upgrades from all carriers are with installments.  No carrier offers contract upgrades.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.