Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlocking

Highlighted
Contributor

Unlocking

I got a notification that one of our phones (we are on a family plan) is eligible to be “unlocked.” I understand from reading some of the posts here  that unlocking a phone has to do with the fact that the phone is now paid in full. And also, possibly, it has something to do with the fact that there is a zero balance so not only is the phone paid in full there is no outstanding payment pending on the AT&T service, either. It’s both the hardware and the service that seems to lead to the ability to unlock one’s phone. 

But then what…? Why?

Despite nosing around the Internet and this forum I really can’t find an explanation that is basic enough for me to understand.

What exactly does unlocking our phone do, why Would we want to do it, will we notice anything different when using the phone, does unlocking the phone do anything to the functionality of the phone while we use it. Or is this all about detaching the phone from the clutches AT&T to make it easier to sell the phone or change service? Kind of like removing a lien from your property when it comes time to sell.  That’s kind of what I’ve understood this to be about. 

Many of the posts I’ve read headlight problems people are having with this process. I assume  I should be prepared that by following the instructions in the notification this process may not go smoothly for some reason but I will cross that bridge when it comes.

In the meantime please help me understand more about unlocking   

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 2
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎04-30-2019 2:06 PM

Re: Unlocking

@JimandCyn wrote:

I got a notification that one of our phones (we are on a family plan) is eligible to be “unlocked.” I understand from reading some of the posts here  that unlocking a phone has to do with the fact that the phone is now paid in full. And also, possibly, it has something to do with the fact that there is a zero balance so not only is the phone paid in full there is no outstanding payment pending on the AT&T service, either. It’s both the hardware and the service that seems to lead to the ability to unlock one’s phone. 

But then what…? Why?

So it can be used on another network.

Despite nosing around the Internet and this forum I really can’t find an explanation that is basic enough for me to understand.

Understand why someone might want to use another network?  

What exactly does unlocking our phone do, why Would we want to do it, will we notice anything different when using the phone, does unlocking the phone do anything to the functionality of the phone while we use it. Or is this all about detaching the phone from the clutches AT&T to make it easier to sell the phone or change service?   Yes.  Use in the US or with local sim while traveling. 

Kind of like removing a lien from your property when it comes time to sell.  That’s kind of what I’ve understood this to be about. 

Many of the posts I’ve read headlight problems people are having with this process. I assume  I should be prepared that by following the instructions in the notification this process may not go smoothly for some reason but I will cross that bridge when it comes.   Literally millions of phone unlocks go smoothly.  I’ve unlocked a dozen in 5 years.  

In the meantime please help me understand more about unlocking   

Thank you! 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support