For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Sarah44's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 12th, 2018 1:31 PM

Unlocking my Phone

My family switched to prepaid a month before I was going to study abroad, so when I went to unlock my phone they told me that I had to wait 2 months and there was no other way around it. Mind you that I've been an at&t customer ever since I got a phone 10 YEARS AGO, because I switched plans that act like I'm a new customer. I was angry, but okay I guess I could last 5 weeks in France without service. I had to buy a piece of crap phone for emergencies if I really needed a phone, then I could just ask friends to look up wherever we needed to go when we would travel on the weekends. Now that I've reached the 2 month date, the policy has changed to be 6months on AT&T prepaid. How can I get my phone unlocked. I don't understand how a company can do this to their customers. If I can't get my phone unlocked, I'm leaving AT&T and never coming back, I know AT&T probably doesn't care about 1 customer, but this is crap.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

The policy did not change. Prepaid has always had a 6 month requirement. Once you put the prepaid sim card into the phone, you activated the 6 month requirement. You can get an exception to that requirement if the phone is paid for and you paid full retail price for that phone but getting that exception is not easy. You either need to call and ask for advance tech support with proof that the phone is paid for or file an FCC complaint. If you are currently abroad, that may not be easily done. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.