The new iPhone 15
Bluelion's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, August 25th, 2016 3:50 AM

Unlocking iphone 6s from at&t .

I bought an iphone 6s from ebay locked to at&t . The seller claimed that the phone was a certified ' like new' phone from at&t with all the previous contracts history resolved . That's why I bought it .Now i use it as a go phone and i travel quite often outside the country so I needed to unlock the device . Who should i ask to unlock the device? Will at&t unlock the device for me ? Since i use it as a go phone .

Help me out anyone.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Gophone requires you use a device for 6 months before they will unlock.  The excretion is full price, non subsidized phones, which this would be.  

You can apply for the unlock, but will probably need to contact ATT by phone for the exception.

If there is any problem with the original owner and status, such as not paid off, or insurance replaced, it will not be unlocked.   

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Bluelion AT&T is who you would ask.  IF this phone is properly paid off you can unlock it, but since they sold it as "locked" that obligation may not be complete; if it was unlockable they probably would have unlocked it and gotten more money from eBay for it and would have marked it as unlocked. 

Why would this be the case?

They might have done something like the BOGO (buy one get one free) offer so that phone isn't going to be paid off (they would be still be making payments and getting the credit back every month) for another few years. 

This is my ASSUMPTION (and you know what they say about those) based on the fact that they sold it to you as "locked to at&t".

IF I'm wrong, then it should be unlockable.

(Just out of curiosity, have you had it on GoPhone for 6 months yet?)

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Bluelion In the scenario I gave you, the phone is being paid for so AT&T shouldn't care that you have it, they should reject the unlock though (since it's unpaid).

Here's the thing:

I can't come up with a reason that the person who sold would be intelligent enough to know they need to say "locked to AT&T" in the description, but not smart enough to unlock it (for free) if the phone was eligible to be unlocked; it would sell for more on eBay with "unlocked" in the description and I would think they would know it.

I thought cell companies were required to unlock a phone if it's financial obligation was complete (I might not have the details on that perfectly worded, but that's the gist of what I believe is the case).

Again, that's just my gut feeling based on the fact that the phone isn't a year old yet, it's for sale and they're stating "locked to at&t". Locked phones are not my area of expertise. Other than I sell my old AT&T iPhones on eBay and make sure they're unlocked so that I get more money for them!

I'm not going to get into the illegal scenarios, there are too many options and no reason to think that (other than their weird claim about why it's locked). 

As was stated above, it's a GoPhone now, so even if it was unlocked, GoPhone has a habit of locking phones to their network until 6 months have gone by, but you should be able to get around that timeline if you have a legitimately unlockable phone (that was why I asked you the GoPhone timeline question).

You can't complain to the people you bought it from that it's not unlockable, because they said it was locked. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you guys for such prompt reply . I'm afraid that although they claim that they bought it from a certified buyback program of some sort , if i call at&t and give them all my info and if the phone was unpaid one then will they block or blacklist the phone ? I spent a hefty sum of money for this phone and i just can't loose it like that . I asked the seller about it and they replied phones like these don't have any unpaid history so until i'm using in the intended network i'm fine . The only question remains is should i call them or not . I used iphone 4s before this one as a go phone for a quite a long time . I've been using this for 1 month now .

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

hello my problem iphone 6s unlock please unlocked

Im from turkey my not accounts id pls help me

i dont know zip code  support join account not 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.