For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Syarussell's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 9:43 AM

Unlocking a device as a non AT&T Customer

I left the US two years ago and went in to AT&T twice before leaving for SA to confirm that my iphone was unlocked. I am now wanting to use my old iPhone as a cell phone and it is locked after all (very frustrating!)

If I submit an online request to unlock my phone, I am asked for my wireless number. I no longer have one in the US so I put in my old one in and I get a message that my number belongs to someone else's account. Is there a way to submit a request without a wireless number?

Juliet [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

How exactly did you "confirm the phone was unlocked".  ATT phones are sold locked.  If you didn't unlock it, how could it be unlocked?  Never mind....

Sumit request as a non customer....see the spot to fill in?   Change it to NO.  

IMG_5470.PNG

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Hi there,

When I submit a request as a non customer, I get the following error message:

"Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:Your device is currently active on another AT&T customer’s account."

My device is with me in South Africa and has not been connected to AT&T since I left 2.5 years ago so it doesn't make sense.

In response to your question, I went in to the store twice to explain I was leaving the country and asked if my phone could be unlocked. Customer Service at the shop confirmed with me closing my account it would be unlocked - I went twice to make absolutely sure before I left.

Here are all my details. I would really appreciate your help on this.
Juliet *****
Previous number: *****
Previous address:

IMEI [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Many thanks,
Juliet

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Syarussell   Yeah, it "would be"  if you submitted an unlock request.  As in " yes, your phone will be unlocked now", if you submit a request.    It has never been automatic.  

Once a phone and or account is paid off in full, a phone is eligible. 

This is a public, community forum, not ATT you should not post private info.  (Like it said in the previous post).   

The denial makes me suspect the account was not paid off and closed.  Contact support by message by clicking here @ATTMobilityCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.