The new iPhone 15
Smart5's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, April 27th, 2016 7:40 PM

Unlock request - received reply unable consumer device

Contacting AT&T about unlocking my mobile device iphone 6.

Received the following message 

"We're unable to process this request because it is not a consumer device"

What does it mean.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out the same thing.  My unlock request for my son's iPhone 5s generates the same error response.

(Does the "device unlock support page" link in the email you received point to an internal ATT staging server?  My points to https://tst16.stage.att.com/deviceunlock/#/ which is not accessible from the internet. Doesn't give one many warm fuzzy feelings.)

My guess is that because my account used to be associated with a Corporate Liable master account (although that was six years ago) something in their system assumes that devices are not consumer.

I spoke with a customer service rep who had to end up opening a case for further research.

Fully automated systems are wonderful, except when they aren't and no one is available to talk to customers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

i am having the same issue with my unlock request i have yet to find out what it means i am going to contact a manager tomorrow to see what is going on 

[Inappropriate content removed]

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have the same issue.  It's unclear what AT&T means when it says that my iPhone "is not a consumer device."  Since my iPhone is on "AT&T consumer service" and has been "locked to AT&T" forever, I'll guess that AT&T or one of its partners (Apple) has some kind of data coordination error.

It would be wonderful if someone could clarify what the phrase "is not a consumer device" means, and if there is a reasonable way to address this issues in terms of the unlock process, particularly since I'm doing a lot of international travel over the next several months.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.