For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
member 2015-11-14's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 5:35 AM

Unlock a replacement phone

If your phone drops and breaks and you are cutting your hands and face to use...so you buy a new one and use your phone number....then you go get your phone fixed and now you don't need it because YOU BOUGHT A NEW ONE on your same current plan...how does ATT think it is their right to keep the phone locked because THEY own it?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

IF the original phone is under contract, they have the right to keep it locked until the contract expires. If the new phone was purchased full retail price, it is eligible for unlocking.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Ithinkiwillsue wrote:
If your phone drops and breaks and you are cutting your hands and face to use...so you buy a new one and use your phone number....then you go get your phone fixed and now you don't need it because YOU BOUGHT A NEW ONE on your same current plan...how does ATT think it is their right to keep the phone locked because THEY own it?

Because US law allows for AT&T to wait until the contract is completed that is associated with that particular device before AT&T has to unlock that particular device.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

One would think so. However, ATT insists that my new full retail price phone has NOTHING to do with the OLD phone and the OLD phone is under the contract. Most illogical, unethical thing I have ever heard. The most basic Business Law doctrines are being ignored.

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

8 years ago

It's simple, if the old phone is still under contract then it is NOT paid off and yes, AT&T does still own it.

If you have a car with a loan, you wreck the car and buy a new one. Would you expect the bank to just hand you the title so you could sell the old one?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

The new replacement phone WAS purchased full price. It is in use. Then I took the OLD, cracked and broken phone and they "replaced" it at Apple for $300. ATT has blocked THAT phone! What, so now three phones are under contract? Some of the responses I read like the example of a car/bank/title are not very logical. ATT is not a bank that loaned me anything. In fact they have reinstated closed wireless numbers after years of inactivity and began charging for those wireless numbers. Defending them looks very silly to me.

Hey, "professor", you are off base .. Good answer but you trapped ATT.. You said "this particular device". That "particular device" is in the trash. Guess you got my point after all. 🙂

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Follow this story. I replaced a broken phone on my account with a brand new phone which became the phone associated my phone number and contract. later I tried to get the broken phone fixed -and it couldn't be, so Apple swapped out for a new "shell"-- a new phone for 300 dollars. So, how is it legal for ATT to then lock that SECOND phone from being used?

Guru

• 

901 Messages

8 years ago

This is a customer to customer forum, so I will try my best to help you.  When you bought the new phone to replace the broken one, was it on the NEXT program, 2 yr contract or paid full price?  If the broken one was still under contract, you will need to wait for the contract to be up.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

The second phone was already locked to the ATT network when Apple handed it to you (as are all ATT branded phones handed out by Apple). It is not like ATT locked the phone at some later time.

Have you tried getting it unlocked as a "non-customer"?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I have done that. Actually I only paid for the second phone (not in use now) to give it to an underprivileged family. They are unable to use t with their carrier due to all this nonsense. It is effectively a 1,000 phone with no value to anyone.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

All ATT branded phones are sold locked to ATT.  

Once all financial obligations are complete, you can request a phone be unlocked through the portal.  (Financial obligations = 2 year contract phone purchased at a discount or Next installments)

Gophones activated on ATT must have 6 months of paid service, then can be unlocked by request.

The financial obligation on your line is associated with the original IMEI (original phone). 

If Apple replaced your original phone for $300, was this an insurance replacement?  If a phone is replaced on insurance, the original phone is determined destroyed/lost/stolen.  That IMEI would be blacklisted and the phone can not be used as a phone.  The authorized replacement device is put in its place on your account - now that IMEI is under contract in the original phones place.

Or was the $300 iPhone a used phone purchase at full price?  If it was a used or older phone at full price, it can be unlocked by request.

How did a third phone come into play, it wasn't in the original or follow up posts.

How was the other, temporary phone purchased?  Was it a GoPhone?

Have you requested any of the phones to be unlocked through the portal?  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.