The new iPhone 15
bmfuller78's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 1st, 2017 6:24 AM

Unlock 2 1/2 year old fully paid for and been continuous on AT&T iPhone 6 declined. FAIL :(

Background:

I have an iPhone 6.  It was purchased September 2014, 2 1/2 years ago.  My phone number then had been brought into my employer's AT&T corporate plan.

This past January 2017 my employment came to an end.  My phone number was returned to me as an individual AT&T plan.  I attempted to unlock the phone as it had easily been two years and believed I was in the clear to unlock.  I attempted online.  I was declined and given the reason that I had an account for less than 60 days.  At that time I found that to be mildly irritating considering that this number had been with AT&T for over 2 1/2 years uninterrupted.  Okay I figured I give it 60 days.  So the 60 days has come up and I attempted to unlock it again.  I was declined this time stating I had not had six months!  Why didn't you tell me this and other details at the first decline?  Seriously, why give me the run around?

AT&T you are upsetting me to put it mildly!  I agreed to your 60 days and now you tell me I have to keep my account for six months even though the phone was on AT&T for nearly 3 years, the phone fully paid for, and now I am supposed to believe that I won't be bait and switched in six months from now?  No, AT&T!  This is not right.  Unlock my fully paid iPhone 6.  I have a honeymoon in Europe in less than three weeks and I don't need this silliness going into my marriage.  Unlock my phone.  Thank you

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @bmfuller78,

The automated system gets a little finicky with situations like the account transfers. It sees your account as completely unrelated to the history of your employer's account. The 6 month requirement is for GoPhone, so not sure why that is being imposed unless you switched to GoPhone.

Either way, I would reach out to @ATTMobilityCare (click the username to open a pre-addressed private message) here on the forum. Explain your situation. They do a great job of researching and resolving complex issues. They're a lot better than an automated computer, I'll tell you that. 🙂

I can't guarantee they'll unlock it, but when you get weird errors like that, it's best to involve a human.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@jt212s

@bmfuller78

When switching off a business account you would have been switched to postpaid account first, which has a 60 day requirement before you can unlock a phone.  You then must have switched to a Gophone account, which then triggered the 6 month lock.  

Its all computerized, and the computer can't see the phone has completed its contract.  

@ATTMobilityCare can look over the history on the phone and hopefully will over ride the lock for you.

Ask for advanced tech support.

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 Yeah I'm a little confused why OP got that message unless after they did the ToBR they then waited the waiting period to be able to convert to prepaid. They didn't mention that, and we all know how the unlock portal is, so who knows what's going on.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

There isn't a straight route from business to prepaid, so they create a new postpaid consumer account, which triggers a 60 day lock   If he had unlocked while still on the business account, he would have been home free.

its time for ATT to change the system. 😕

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.