The new iPhone 15
rc_oz's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 7th, 2012 9:18 PM

Transfer data plan from iPad to iPad3 (new iPad) ?

I have the fat iPad vesion 1 with unlimited data plan, can I transfer it to new iPad 3 ?

Please advise.

Thx.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for letting us know, but my question is *how* are we supposed to make the transfer?

The Apple site for iPad 1 & 2 say to change the SIM. Is that what we should do, or is the SIM for 4G LTE different?

Thank you.

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

12 years ago

I'm going to assume, unless we get different official info, that the sims are different. I've read a post where previously someone just went to their iPad account online and changed the IMEI and the other number to the new device which made the account transfer for them. When they restarted the original device they got the message telling them that they had not signed up for data on that device, so it appears making that change online also resets the original sim in the first device. 

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

I called AT&T today to ask this question and, not surprisingly, it took 30 minutes and got no definitive answer. Here's what I do know. You need the new A5X sim card to access the 4G LTE network (well, that's what att told me on the phone today). I assume the iPad 3 is shipping with that SIM card (AT&T could not confirm this but it only makes sense that an AT&T 4G device would ship with the right SIM CARD). Therefore, I am hoping that "transferring" the data plan from my 2 to my 3 is as simple as go into the settings of my 3 and logging in to my existing prepaid account. Based on all of this, I do not believe swapping the SIM card is a good thing to do. The existing SIM in the ipad2 is not the latest.

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

12 years ago

That's my impression as well. I'm going to assume the 2 sims are not interchangeable. My wife is going to use the "old" iPad when I activate the new one. So I'm hoping that changing the proper numbers on my account will transfer my plan while allowing my wife to get her own plan with the old sim.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thanks for confirming this is possible. Can you tell us how to transfer the plan?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

12 years ago

Before you went to the att's ipadlanding site. https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

12 years ago

Never mind looks like you can do it from the iPad, under setting and cellular data.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Folks, just wanted to let everyone know - I've just transferred the unlimited plan from an iPad 2 (which I had previously transferred from a first generation iPad) to my new iPad 3rd gen that arrived today Smiley Tongue. It worked fine - I've now got "DOM Unlimited Data LTE" for $29.99/month.

I'm a happy bunny Cat Very Happy

M

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Did you do it by changing the IMEI, etc. online? Or by SIM swap?

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I called and changed mine today. The rep made sure it changed and I still had the correct plan. She was very helpful.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.