drjorg's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 1:53 AM

Closed

The iphone insurance is a scam - please be advised

Dear AT&T,

The insurance program you offer for iphones is a scam. I have been paying roughly $10.00 a month in order to "protect" my iphone purchase for the last 9 months. I am a PhD student and an extra $10.00 a month can add up. But, I thought it would be worth it since I am very dependent on this device and would likely not have the money to pay for a new phone if something happened. I mean that is typically why a person would purchase insurance for an item.

Unfortunately, today I dropped my phone. Once I picked it up I noticed that the screen was cracked and a panic began to fill my body. How am I going to get this fixed? What is it going to cost? And then I remembered.. Don't panic. You bought the insurance. It will be covered and you will be okay. After speaking with your customer service and the insurance company I realized I had been lied to. That you have been take $10.00 a month from me, only to try to charge me an additional $189; which is more than the full price of getting a screen replaced from apple ($138). So, in total you want $189 in addition to the $90 I have paid? This is nuts. It is unethical and I intend to make sure everyone knows to NEVER buy your insurance.

Today I paid $138.00 to apple to get the screen replaced. If I had never paid for your insurance I would only be out $138. But I have truely paid $228 for this replacement. $90 for nothing. Not to mention I was told at the time of purchased the phone I was told there would be no deductable. 

Also, You should probably change your website that says screen replacement is $89.00.

Thanks for appreciating my over ten years of supporting your company by scamming me.

https://www.att.com/shopcms/media/att/2016/shop/wireless/documents/Mobile-Insurance-Brochure-En.pdf

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@drjorg wrote:

Dear AT&T,

The insurance program you offer for iphones is a scam. I have been paying roughly $10.00 a month in order to "protect" my iphone purchase for the last 9 months. I am a PhD student and an extra $10.00 a month can add up. But, I thought it would be worth it since I am very dependent on this device and would likely not have the money to pay for a new phone if something happened. I mean that is typically why a person would purchase insurance for an item.

Unfortunately, today I dropped my phone. Once I picked it up I noticed that the screen was cracked and a panic began to fill my body. How am I going to get this fixed? What is it going to cost? And then I remembered.. Don't panic. You bought the insurance. It will be covered and you will be okay. After speaking with your customer service and the insurance company I realized I had been lied to. That you have been take $10.00 a month from me, only to try to charge me an additional $189; which is more than the full price of getting a screen replaced from apple ($138). So, in total you want $189 in addition to the $90 I have paid? This is nuts. It is unethical and I intend to make sure everyone knows to NEVER buy your insurance.

Today I paid $138.00 to apple to get the screen replaced. If I had never paid for your insurance I would only be out $138. But I have truely paid $228 for this replacement. $90 for nothing. Not to mention I was told at the time of purchased the phone I was told there would be no deductable. 

https://www.att.com/shopcms/media/att/2016/shop/wireless/documents/Mobile-Insurance-Brochure-En.pdf

Sorry you dropped your phone.

This is the plan that you agreed to. You never looked at the plan to see what it covered?  You clearly found the coverage details once you looked, seriously how long did that take to check? I have no issue with you never looking at the plan, but blaming others for you not looking at it is another issue... 

Also, you're only comparing screen replacement cost. Doesn't that cover theft  and other breakage (which could be way more than $138)?

This is the AT&T community forum (not AT&T support).

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

8 years ago

applecare is better

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

6 A non-refundable deductible will be charged for each approved claim. Continuously enrolled
customers who go claim free for 6-12 consecutive months, save 25% off
the standard deductible; and for 12 consecutive months or more, save 50% off the
standard deductible.

It's listed right there in the brochure you posted. It's an insurance product. Just like all other insurance a deductible applies. Home, car, health....cell phones.

Not sure who told you no deductible but that is incorrect. The written terms, that are in writing, are what applies. Thise supercedes anything. Whenever insurance is enrolled a packet of information is mailed to the customer who enrolls. It details the terms and states a deductible applies.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

No carrier covers your insurance, they collect it for Asurion, who is the insurance provider.  Your $90 went to Asurion, NOT ATT.  

The only insurance without a deductible is life Insurance.  

It is not required.  

If you broke your phone and had no insurance you would have to pay the full replacement cost.

You would also still owe your carrier for contract or Next plan.

I don't use Insurnace.  Some can't imagine not having it.   It's your choice.  But don't call it a scam.  It's not.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Explain how taking more money as a deductible than the cost of replacing a screen is not a scam?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Never received any documentation. And if I had I don't this excuses an AT&T employee providing false information. It makes it worse, as now your saying he did so knowing this was not the case.

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

8 years ago

When you file a claim they don't just fix the screen, they send you a different device, usually refurbished. If your device was totally destroyed the deductible would be less than a new phone so you'd be ahead in that case. I did my homework on the insurance several years ago and chose to not carry it knowing I could likely repair or replace the phone for less. So far it has worked for me.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

No one is providing false information. All accounts enrolled in insurance receive physical documentation mailed to them. If you started insurance on an older device and continued coverage then these documents may have been mailed years ago.

When Asurion upped the monthly fee from $6.99 to $7.99 everyone was mailed, to the billing address on file, written notification of such.

Deductible is standard practice and all carriers who use Asurion for insurance do the exact same thing. Screen repair is screen repair. A replacement device is a whole different phone. Two completely different things.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I understand your service person said they don't do an $89.00 screen repair. They just replace the device so:

screen repair= device replacement (refurbished) = $189.00

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

So I am not to trust the employee who sold me the plan? I think there is a difference from me never looking and the salesman's false claims.

Btw personally attacking me for standing up for the consumer? Really? Okay.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.