For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
M4tty19's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, September 14th, 2018 5:57 AM

The iPhone XS, XS Max, XR, dual SIM usability, and AT&T Next

How will purchasing the new iPhones (Xs, Xs Max, and Xr) through AT&T Next impact the usability of the dual SIM feature? Up until now, iPhones purchased through AT&T Next have been locked to the carrier until the payment plan runs its full duration and the phone is payed off, at which time the owner can submit to have their phone unlocked. Swapping SIM cards in order to use a different carrier wasn't an option until that happened.

Will the new phones be similarly carrier-locked in purchased through AT&T Next? If so, will that impact both SIM slots, or only the eSIM slot? Will customers who purchase their phones through AT&T Next be able to install SIM cards in the physical SIM card slot from other carriers and have service on their phones from both carriers while they still owe a balance on their AT&T Next financing plan?

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

Don’t think AT&T has announced how it’s going to work yet, but knowing them, I expect it to stay locked as it is now.

From what I’ve heard, the eSIM won’t be active on the new phones out of the box, anyway.  Apple is supposed to enable it in a later software update.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

It's active on iOS 12.1 (beta), I just can't find any detail about AT&T supporting it yet.. They were struggling with the eSim in the Apple watch not too long ago!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

No us carrier is ready for the esim to work.  My guess is each carrier is working on the QR code system that is needed.  Only reports I have seen of it working is DT in Europe.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

I just switched to AT&T today.

The representative told me the following:

1)eSim should be available already - but cannot find it at the moment. --> using iOS 12.1 beta 2 on an iPhone Xs so I would be ready to go...

2)eSim works as any country but under footnote 6 it says comes with roaming restrictions

3)he booked on top direct tv select although I only ordered wireless...

Hope to get all 3 things started.

D

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@dennispl

No carrier is able to use the eSim yet.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

thx!

hope this is coming soon.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Not true- Apple Watch series 3 uses eSim

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Wrong context.  Samsung used esim in the gear S2.   This is the first use in a cell phone.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@marksatx23

And iPad Pro have eSim, and if purchased and activated through ATT the eSim is locked, permanently, to ATT.

the exterior sim slot is not locked on iPads.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.