The new iPhone 15
SLIKRICK's profile

Professor

• 

2K Messages

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 8:41 PM

Texting from computer?

I know its a long shot, but does anyone know if there's a way to receive a text from someone who doesn't have an iPhohe of AT&T, on the native iPhone texing app? I know some text apps such as TextFree have the ability to send and receive texts from a web browser, but have never seen the same for the native one. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

13K Messages

12 years ago

The info below is specific to AT&T (Also when sending a sms from an email system, make sure to change the email format to "plain text", if not then the message wont deliver properly.)

Text Message (SMS)

10digitmobilenumber@txt.att.net - Text messages can be sent from any internet email account to an AT&T wireless phone number using this email address format. Received messages are considered text messages and billed accordingly.

Picture Message (MMS)

10digitmobilenumber@mms.att.net - Picture messages can be sent from any internet email account to an AT&T wireless phone number using this email address format. Received messages are considered text messages and billed accordingly.

This link is for all other carriers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

12 years ago

I'm not sure if they still have it or not, but AT&T used to have a web page you could use to send a text message to an AT&T customer.  You can also use email by sending to the correctly formatted email address (usually somethign like their 10 digit phone # "@mms.att.net"  I know at some point a long time ago, almost all mobile carriers in teh US offered both of these services, but I don't know if they still do.  The awkward point was that you had to know who your friend's cell phone carrier was to use the correct web site to send them a text message.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks a lot, Wilcre and Geekboy.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

12 years ago

@SLIKRICK wrote:

I know its a long shot, but does anyone know if there's a way to receive a text from someone who doesn't have an iPhohe of AT&T, on the native iPhone texing app? I know some text apps such as TextFree have the ability to send and receive texts from a web browser, but have never seen the same for the native one. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

If they have the latest OSX, then they have iMessage on the computer and that should work...

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

12 years ago

I'm pretty sure that hte Mountain Lion use of Messages will only work if the person on the receiving end is also using iMessage.  I have been exchanging SMS messages with my sister today and none of them are showing up on my Mac/Messages, and I am using my iPhone 5 (but I also know she has a Blackberry on Verizon).  I do know it does work that way when I get messages from my wife (using her iPhone), as I do often reply form my Mac.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

awesome!!! I had just posted this same question.Thannnnnks!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Is there a way to send txt message from PC so that it appears as it is coming from your phone .....shows your cell number?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

@JayZongo wrote:
Is there a way to send txt message from PC so that it appears as it is coming from your phone .....shows your cell number?

AT&T used to have a web page you could use to do this, but I do not think that is active any longer.  I am not aware of any method to send an SMS as coming from a specific phone number without using that phone to send it.  Note that because I am not aware of a way to do it doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means that I don't know of a way to do that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.