Text spam

Contributor

Text spam

How can I block spam text messages?
Message 1 of 6
Community Manager

Re: Text spam

Hi @0000fdb6

I found a useful article with step by step direction and screenshots here.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
Community Support

Hi there! @0000fdb6 thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I’m sorry to hear you’re getting spam text messages and I know how frustrating this can be and AT&T is working hard to eliminate this.

You can get step by step information on blocking numbers that spam you by clicking here selecting the make and model of your phone and clicking on Block unwanted calls from the Device Home tab.

You can also reduce spam text messages on your wireless phone with the following steps:

Report spam messages

Don't respond directly to a spam message, doing so alerts the spammer that your number is genuine. Instead, report the spam message. Send the message on your wireless phone to 7726 (SPAM) so that we can start an investigation.

Messages forwarded to 7726 are free. They don't count toward your text plan.

Send the spam text message to 7726 from your smartphone

Learn how to send the message from your:

• iPhone: Touch and hold the message, then select More. Select the message you want to forward, then select Arrow in the bottom right corner, enter 7726 and select Send.
  • Android and Windows: Press the message (being careful not to activate a link), select Forward from the menu, and send to 7726.
  • Other smartphones: Go to Device Support for instructions about forwarding text messages.

To understand ways to reduce spam, including how to report repeat spam offenders who continue to send you messages, visit our Smart Controls page. Also, here are some tips for reporting spam:

• If you receive a number of spam texts, put 7726 into your contact list for fast access.
  • If you're not able to view the number, forward us the entire message to abuse@att.net.

Thank you,

Kevin

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6
Tutor

I received a message for 1410100001 today that appeared to be from Xfinity.  I looked Online with AT&T here and it was indicated this was the AT&T e-mail gateway for e-mail and SMS.  If I block this number, will it block all these services from my phone?

Earneto

A Retired Employee

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

@Earnesto You can give it a try but I'm pretty sure the answer is no as anything coming through the email to SMS gateway has a different originating number each time. In other words, if they send another such text, it won't be coming from the same number and there is likely no way to block them all.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6
Tutor

You response is thoughtful and timely. But, what you say makes me believe they can spoof the message source. If that is the case, my question is “If the source they spoof is the identify of the e-mail gateway (as reflected in the other post), wouldn’t I be blocking that identity to my phone and wouldn’t that cause an interruption of those services provided from that identity to my phone?” Or was the other post incorrect?
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support