The new iPhone 15
trlyka's profile

Scholar

• 

206 Messages

Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 3:27 PM

Syncing with Macbook Pro for the first time

I got a Macbook Pro 17" for Christmas. I have a Windows (Dell) laptop that quit on me Dec 15th for at least the 3rd tme this year.

My husband usually restores it by reinstalling windows, but backs up the hard drive first. He didn't bother restoring yet because I wasn't bugging him to do it since I have a iPad and I was using his laptop.

I'm not sure how to back up my phone on the Mac. I mean I do know how to connect to iTunes and sync, but will I lose anything since it's the first time? Do I need to be concerned with backing anything up like my pictures and contacts? 

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Check out this article about moving your itunes libarary to your new mac.  Once everything is moved, you should sync OK.  I followed a similar article to this one back a few years ago when I switch from PC to Macbook.  http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

Good luck

Scholar

• 

206 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks! There's a lot of info there! Almost too much. I'm looking for a simple 1,2,3 on what to do. I have my phone photos in iPhoto and my contacts are in iCloud. My main concern is that my apps remain in place where they are now on the phone and in the folders. Also, my music is on my old laptop. I obviously have it on my iphone too, but will I need to move it before I sync? If so, how would I get the music from my iPhone to my Mac?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hello..

It will warn you if you are at any risk of losing data. How did you get info on the phone without ever syncing it to your Mac in the first place? If you previously sync'd it on a PC then yes you will lose everything that's on it. But again, you'll get a warning before that happens so just cancel if you get the warning, then let us know and we can probably guide you from there.

Have a look at:  mac repair in london

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

This is an old thread but if you follow how to move the library from a PC to a Mac, any data loss would be put right back on.  Years ago when I made the switch, I did not loose anything but I Cannot remember if it just continued syncing since my old library was now on my mac or if It eased the data then restored it?

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

12 years ago

Remember to use Authorize this computer in iTunes when using more than one or adding a new computer also if you are not going to use a computer anylonger Deauthorize ,this can only be done 5 times in a years period after that call Apple.

Make sure you go through the menu and check off the things you want and uncheck the rest then sync.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.