Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Switching from SIM to eSIM

Highlighted
Contributor

Switching from SIM to eSIM

Hi. I'll soon be traveling out of the country and would like to use a physical SIM at my international destination. How do I switch from my present SIM card to e-SIM on my iPhone XS. Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Vedanta
‎12-19-2018 3:18 PM

Re: Switching from SIM to eSIM

Make sure your phone is unlocked.

Go to an ATT store and get the card with QR code and follow directions to move your number to eSim.   A few store personnel think a second number or different plan is required.  Just give them side eye cause you know that’s not true. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Thank you so much for your help. I hope to go to the nearest AT&T Store and get this done as soon as i can. 

Message 3 of 8
Contributor

Hi. I went to the store today and got my number changed from SIM to eSIM. The process was quick, easy and simple. One change I noticed which puzzles me: My "Message" app now sends all messages as "text" messages, no longer the "Message" protocol Apple has when sent to other Apple devices. I wonder why this change has occurred and whether it has anything to do with eSIM. 

Message 4 of 8
Contributor

I am currently overseas (Asia) and will not be back in US until May when I could visit a att office. Can the att switch from using physical sim to esim be achieved without visiting a att office?

keith 

Message 5 of 8
Contributor

I just bought unlock version of XS Max and need support from AT&T. 

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Hi. I switched mine today and I’m having the same problem plus some others. How did you get yours fixed?

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Sage

What problem?   No one else had a problem (other than not reading how to get eSim)

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support