For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Monti719's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 6th, 2017 11:54 PM

Switching Phones

My husband has an iPhone 5 and is ready to upgrade his phone to an iPhone 7 plus.  I have a iPhone 6s Plus and am leasing the phone through AT&T but am not eligible for an upgrade yet. Is it possible for my husband to get his upgrade and give his phone to me by just switching sim cards so that I get the new iPhone 7 to use with my number and he gets my 6s Plus to use with his number? I tried to chat with an AT&T rep, but they didn't understand what I was talking about 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Yes, switching SIM cards will work fine. By the way, you are not leasing your phone. ATT does not do leases. You probably have a Next plan but it is not a lease. The phone is yours. The Next plan payments will stay with your line even if your husband uses the phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Monti719 Yes that will work fine.  But that phone COST is attached to the other phone LINE, if they leave the account that money (for your phone) is due immediately. So if one of you want to switch carriers, make sure you remember what device is committed to what line to know what you're going to owe.

You can also just buy your phones from Apple and not even deal with the AT&T line-switcheroo...

If you/he could wait 9-10 more weeks, you could get the new iPhone instead. (And the 7+ would likely be $100 cheaper). 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.