The new iPhone 15
jdeleon0512's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 4:04 PM

Swapping sim cards iphone 4s to iphone 5

Will it work if I upgrade one of my numbers to an iphone 5 and then swap sim cards with an iphone 4s that I have activated on another number?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

190 Messages

11 years ago

Yes you upgrade your son's line to an iPhone. This would give him the iPhone data plan. Then you take the iPhone 5 and activate it on your line. You would call customer care at 611 (or 800-331-0500) to switch from the regular iPhone data plan to the LTE data plan. Then go to an AT&T store to get a microSIM to activate on your son's line to use in the 4S. (Or you could do all this in the store)

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Basically what I want to do is:

- My son has phone number "a" with a blackberry but wants an iphone and is eligible for an upgrade at the price of $399. I have phone number "b" with an iphone 4s. I am eligible for an upgrade at the price of 649. I would like to upgrade my son to the iphone 5 but trade phones with him so my number would have the iphone 5 and his number would have the iphone 4s. Is this possible to do by just swapping sim cards between the iphone 4s and iphone 5?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@ranron wrote:

Yes you upgrade your son's line to an iPhone. This would give him the iPhone data plan. Then you take the iPhone 5 and activate it on your line. You would call customer care at 611 (or 800-331-0500) to switch from the regular iPhone data plan to the LTE data plan. Then go to an AT&T store to get a microSIM to activate on your son's line to use in the 4S. (Or you could do all this in the store)

The point here is that you can't just swap sims because the micro-sim in the 4s will not fit in the iphone 5 which takes a nano-sim. Whether you activate the iphone 5 on your line or not, you are going to need at least one new sim. As ranron suggested, the easiest way to accomplish the switch is to do it in an AT&T corporate store.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.