Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Sudden Data Usage increase

Contributor

Sudden Data Usage increase

I have never reached my data limit, not even close in two years.  When at work we have zero network service.  All the sudden today, I have maxed out my data usage when the billing period started yesterday.  I have barely used my phone at all!!!   Is it possible someone is hijacking my data?  This all started when I got the iPhone 6s. 

Message 1 of 46
ACE - Master

Re: Sudden Data Usage increase

That's interesting/odd, @exodus, maxing out in 1 day does make it seem not quite as plausible that the data was actually used (as reported).  Like @lizdance40, I'm also having "second thoughts", but still tempered ;-]

I think you very quickly can get a pretty good idea on which device(s) are the issue though, that's the good side of things, if it's really churing though data that fast.  It should enable you to reset the counters, and watch, almost real-time, at rate, as the data racks up.  I'd guess within a few hours you can identify the device(s) and corresponding app(s).  Or you'll see (lots of) data showing up on your account, with essentially no signficant counter data.

Either way, we're curious.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 41 of 46
Contributor

You like others don't know everything. Computers mess up and in this case
there was a big error. Get the facts right before you pass a comment.

Message 42 of 46
ACE - Sage

@exodus

Idiopathic overages (which usually aren't so much unexplained)  on one device may be easier to find than you expect.  Those apps may be the key.  

I recall a post where a mom was furious and thought Verizon (I am former) was pulling something.  After checking the apps, she remembered allowing her child to use her phone for entertainment during a time period.  The kid opened her favorite app, netflix, and watched several movies or shows while traveling.  I think she said auto play was on.      

My son didn't know he had YouTube on in the background on his phone.  It kept running to the tune of 9-11 gigs a month.  

It's little goofs like this that can add up.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 43 of 46
Contributor

What happened is my billed showed NO data usage in any of my for lines for
Feb. All my lines then had ALL my Jan usage added to the beginning of my
March (current) billing cycle. So please stop saying it's apps. It is a
computer billing issue. And if not corrected, then we are saying goodbye
after 17 years as a customer.
Message 44 of 46
ACE - Expert

@MrMartinjr wrote:
You like others don't know everything. Computers mess up and in this case
there was a big error. Get the facts right before you pass a comment.

So please stop saying it's apps. It is a computer billing issue. 

@MrMartinjr I'm not sure where your attitude is coming from???

No one has directly addressed you and it doesn't appear that anyone is telling you you're wrong. You haven't even asked a question...

As you specifically stated you had a computer issue, I'm not sure why you think they're talking to you as you know your problem and most of the other posts specifically address someone else. 

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 45 of 46
Tutor

@MrMartinjr Check your MyAT&T app today to see if your data allowance has been updated yet. I noticed a change in mine this morning.

AT&T has credited me for an additional 15gb of data this month and removed the overage charges, although I still haven't heard anything from them regarding my case being resolved.

Once my Feb-Mar billing statement was posted, it was possible to see that no data usage was recorded for that period at all. Instead all of the usage for each line had been posted to and compounded with the Mar-Apr billing period. I assume the error was due to the shorter billing cycle in Feb.

@lizdance40, @pgrey, @Gary L
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I will be downloading and using an independent data counter, in order to have a more accurate idea of exactly how my data is being used each month.
Message 46 of 46
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support