Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Sudden Data Usage increase

Contributor

Sudden Data Usage increase

I have never reached my data limit, not even close in two years.  When at work we have zero network service.  All the sudden today, I have maxed out my data usage when the billing period started yesterday.  I have barely used my phone at all!!!   Is it possible someone is hijacking my data?  This all started when I got the iPhone 6s. 

Message 1 of 46
ACE - Sage

Re: Sudden Data Usage increase

@Leona8

This is a community forum, so no, not employees or it would say so below our screen name.

Why is unknown without more information from you.

Your phone is an independant meter of your data use.  You need to see if ATT and your ohone have the same (or very close) totals.   

what do the phones have recorded in settings under data usage?   Which apps use substantial data?

Are all phones on the account effected?

In 3 years my data for my family plan has ranged from 9 to 24 gigs in a month.  Only one month was my total not within a few MBs of ATT totals.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 46
Contributor

ok, you keep repeating yourself, but have not answered the question.
Message 32 of 46
ACE - Master

@Leona8That's because @lizdance40 is trying to help you, but needs your data (the data points requested from your device(s)) in order to be very effective.

Your device is somehow using data, probably due to a change in phone settings (sometimes updates do this, enable things like WiFi assist, so WiFi isn't always used when it should be), or apps that update, and start using several factors more data.

To AT&T, it's just one set of data (ok, smaller sets, but same idea, it's all essentially just data to them), as tracking it any other way would be a HUGE privacy problem, to start.

If you'll take a look at your device(s), and let us know what you find under the "heavier data users", we can help you figure out what's going on here.  

Without those data-points, we're all just guess, even that AT&T agents...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 46
ACE - Expert

@Leona8 wrote:
Do you work for AT&T. The question
is not about what apps are using the most data, the question is why after 8 years would someone go over there plan 2 months in a row when nothing they do changed. 

No.

If with the latest update you're most used app is using more data, there is your answer to why.

It really is about the apps. You aren't trying to tell me you are running the same operting systems and the exact same version of the apps as you did 8 years ago?

Just because you didn't pay attention for 8 years, doesn't mean you haven't been working your data use to this point eventually.

Unless you are looking at the apps data usage, you aren't actually looking for a solution.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 34 of 46
ACE - Sage

@Leona8 wrote:
ok, you keep repeating yourself, but have not answered the question.

We don't have a magic crystal ball.  The "why" is provided by the information on your phones.  

Cant diagnose the patient without knowing the symptoms...

Time to pull out this old blog post.  It may add more information on how your phone uses data and explain why I ask these question.  

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress...

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 35 of 46
Tutor

@lizdance40
I took the phones to our local AT&T store and they did ask to see the data managers on the phones. The data manager on the Samsung reads 1.66gb for the current billing cycle, but MyAT&T recorded over 12gb for this device on the first day of the cycle alone. The response from store management was that we could've reset the data manager on the phone.

The data recorded on the iPhones are for each device's lifetime, so that wasn't as helpful.

We firmly believe that it is a reporting error in the AT&T system, but no amount of evidence that we have provided (previous billing statements, data manager, diagnostics) will convince AT&T to fix it. They keep insisting that we need to upgrade our plan or replace all of the devices.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm open to any suggestions.
Message 36 of 46
ACE - Expert

@exodus wrote:
I took the phones to our local AT&T store and they did ask to see the data managers on the phones. The data manager on the Samsung reads 1.66gb for the current billing cycle, but MyAT&T recorded over 12gb for this device on the first day of the cycle alone. The response from store management was that we could've reset the data manager on the phone.

I suppose that's always a possiblity, on the iPhone it specifically says when you last reset it, I guess Android doesn't do it that way.

The data recorded on the iPhones are for each device's lifetime, so that wasn't as helpful.

But the apps that recorded the highest are likely culprits (it's not going to be the lowest use apps).

We firmly believe that it is a reporting error in the AT&T system, but no amount of evidence that we have provided (previous billing statements, data manager, diagnostics) will convince AT&T to fix it. They keep insisting that we need to upgrade our plan or replace all of the devices.

Reset it and keep track and see if you see any other issues on the other phones.

If you find a phone that you think has a problem, I'd consider having them replacing the SIM in it.

(Once in a while it seems to be a phone, but that hasn't been super common, multiple different phones at once it's kind of weird....)

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 37 of 46
ACE - Master

@exodus

1. Reset the data counters on ALL your devices.

1a (optional, but handy). Install data-counters on each device, that track daily and per-app data, we can give you pointers, or there are numerous threads where we have before.

2. Watch the data (daily, weekly, monthly, whichever works best initially) and record the usage for all high-usage apps (this is typically 3-5 apps, sometimes a few more).

2. Set a reminder, on the day BEFORE your data resets each month, to go in to ALL the devices, and reset the counters again (AFTER carefully noting the monthly totals).

3. Chart the patterns, and see how it compares to the data on your account (a spreadsheet is a handy tool for this).

Like @Gary L made an excellent note of, sure, you're probably running more or less what *seems* like the same apps over that period, but trust me, as a s/w engineer, you're defintiely NOT running anything even closely resembling what you were, 8 years ago, by a HUGE margin.

I can almost guarantee if you follow the above, that you'll start to see the patterns emerge, both per-device, and per-app, that will yield a relatively clear indicator of what's using your data.

If not, then you'll have an awesome set of data to present to a CSR, in terms of usage not matching what billing does (I've yet to hear back from someone who did this, and didn't find the issue).

I get that this is a pain, but it's that way because your data is yours, it's private, and you don't want AT&T telling you what apps, which websites, and such are using your data, because in order to do so, they have to actually monitor what's in your data, at least to some extent, which would extend way outside of privacy laws.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Message 38 of 46
ACE - Sage

@exodus

Biting my tongue a little as the clerk was wrong.  The only way to reset data on an android would be to factory reset the phone or switch phones.   I believe the data counting is wrong.  And I never believe that - wow.    

Ask for new SIM cards on all phones, and as @pgrey suggests, track the data carefully.   

Iphones have to be reset with the bill cycle.   Androids keep the bill cycle automatically.  

Message 39 of 46
Tutor

Thank you. I'm sure these tips will prove to be immensely helpful. I'll definitely search the other threads for independent data counters.

I do want to note, however, that I'm not using my devices or usage rates from years ago as a standard of camparison (I think that may have been another poster). I have been on the same 15gb plan since Jan 2016 with the same devices since June 2016 with no major change in usage from month to month. Our typical combined monthly usage during that period has been 10-11gb (with approximately 4gb rolling over). The Samsung usually accounts for 8gb of data usage and the iPhones account for less than 2gb/each. On the first day of our new billing cycle we maxed out on data (15Gb+), with each device reporting what is typical for a 30 day billing cycle. I'm highly skeptical that the problem spans all 3 devices.

Thank you for your input. I will ask about the SIM cards.
Tags (2)
Message 40 of 46
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support