The new iPhone 15
mcsail1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, March 7th, 2016 11:19 PM

Sudden Data Usage increase

I have never reached my data limit, not even close in two years.  When at work we have zero network service.  All the sudden today, I have maxed out my data usage when the billing period started yesterday.  I have barely used my phone at all!!!   Is it possible someone is hijacking my data?  This all started when I got the iPhone 6s. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Turn off wifi assist in settings 

Check your account again, it might be a notice for the previous billing.  

Look at what is using your data (which apps). Turn cellular off for apps you don't need while away from wifi.  

If you upgraded from a 3G phone, you would use more data.

Another possibility is a faulty phone.  How much data is it using per month?

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Also make sure you have updates set to ONLY occur over wifi.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Our usage just jumped from 3.5 GB per month to 11 GB per month with no change in the way we use the phone. ATT says they have no idea what is causing this. We are getting charged $100 overage fees per month. We did all the obvious things like what you suggest at the top of this thread plus a bunch more. nothing helped, and ATT will do nothing. What can I do?? We are under contract and cannot just change carriers.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

We are going Thursday the same thing since 8 months now and been with them 15 yrs. The first time they did nothing so I filed with BBB it got resolved then it happened again. They reset my phone then nothing so they replaced my phone while it is still happening daily ever hr. To half a day.. I have so many overage it's not even funny... I'm about to call them to see what's up . I do nothing more to my phone then I have in the past... in July I have 400.00 overages which I complained til they did something now I'm back in the same boat.. very very frustrating!! We plan to switch.. if this continues I will file a complaint with BBB again then next step :/... please call and complain if no response go to BBB WEBSITE AND FILE THEN CHANGE CARRIER'S YOU CAN DO THAT EVEN UNDER CONTRACT

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

Hello. Same story here, 17 year customer. Just another opportunity for AT&T to take advantage of loyal customers. Funny, you actually have to manually turn off your cellular settings when you access your modem otherwise your data plan is still in use. I actually could not believe this…

http://jirout.me/att-data-overage-fees/

I believe they were just find $100 million last year for throttling data. I'm sure enough complaints would bring this to light.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@imjustanumbr

Data overage fees are to encourage customers to keep within their plan, not a money maker.  If you noticed, ATT just introduced a new plan without overage fees at all.  The plan also offer more data.

ATT was NOT fined for throttling.  They were threatened with a fine for not notifying customers of the throttling policy and when then user was near their slow down.  

ATT does no throttle at all anymore, hasn't for more than a year.  Unlimited data is reprioritised after 22 gigs of use and might experience a slow down in data if the network is congested. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I will be reporting this on going issue and changing carriers. It's sad when they feel the need to steal from people over and over when they make millions.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@Harleygirl2ride

They don't want overage fees.  The new plan doesn't have any overage fees at all.  You could save yourself quite a bit switching plans rather than the expense of switching carriers.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 with all due respect are you an AT&T social media manager? You state "ATT was NOT fined for throttling. They were threatened with a fine for not notifying customers of the throttling policy and when then user was near their slow down. ATT does no throttle at all anymore." Then why on earth were they threatened with a fine? Apple is currently being sued on the issue which benefits carriers. http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-faces-lawsuit-over-data-bills-tied-to-wi-fi-assist/ Let's stick with the issue of how you can minimize damage to your brand by being a bit more honest with customers like me and @Harleygirl2ride who have been loyal long term customers. In this particular instance it might just mean apologizing, advising and admitting that this was unclearly communicated AT LEAST.  Or you can report increased earnings to your shareholders.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Employees are clearly identified.  It would say "Employee" under my screen name, and the disclaimer box under all my posts.

The headline is misleading, read the article.  ATT did not pay, they changed their policy.  There is a difference between what the FCC says and does.  They threaten fines all the time, many are collected.  It is their only recourse to gain compliance and it works.  

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/17/fcc-slaps-att-with-100-million-fine-for-throttling-unlimited-data-plans

quote:

"The FCC found that AT&T did not adequately inform customers of the potential for throttling, violating the 2010 Open Internet Transparency Rule. The rule "mandates that broadband access providers disclose accurate information sufficient to enable consumers to make informed choices regarding their use of broadband Internet services and to ensure they are not misled or surprised by the quality or cost of the services they actually receive."

ATT denied customers were not informed and immediately started sending text notices at 75%, and 90% of full speed usage, and then completely changed the policy to repriotitized data after 22 GBs, rather than throttle at 5 GBS.  

Wifi assist and defects in Apple phones isn't ATT fault, so not sure what your point is there.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.