The new iPhone 15
mcsail1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, March 7th, 2016 11:19 PM

Sudden Data Usage increase

I have never reached my data limit, not even close in two years.  When at work we have zero network service.  All the sudden today, I have maxed out my data usage when the billing period started yesterday.  I have barely used my phone at all!!!   Is it possible someone is hijacking my data?  This all started when I got the iPhone 6s. 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@FreddieM Have you tried looking at your Apps list for usage?
This is usually pretty telling, typically showing that an app that had relatively low usage is now a heavy-usage-app.  This can happen through a series of upgrades (apps can change without notifying of this), where a user is unaware of the increase.

Take a look at the values, and let us know what you're seeing, in terms of usage values, so we can help you accurately diagnose your issue.

Also, look at your App-store, and let us know what apps have updated, if you're comfortable sharing the list there as well.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I have never gone over my usage. Then in February I went over and got a $15 charge. I was very careful for the rest of the month.Then on March 2nd I got a notice that I had already used 75% of my data. When I called AT&T they could not help or explain why this was hsppening, exceptcto say I must be doing something different, which I'm not. In talking with my daughter I found thst this happening to her and her friends for $100 or more.[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Leona8 AT&T doesn't know what you use your data for. They can't really help.

Your phone knows, it can tell you exactly which apps using how much data. Look under settings->cellular and see what uses the most (even if it's not been reset ever) 

Set a calendar appointment on your iPhone for your plan date. Then check it every month, see which apps are using the most, and reset the counter. My phone's numbers always match AT&T's numbers within a few percent.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I know that this post is a year old, but I was hoping some of the members who experienced these issues previously might be able to tell me what resolution was achieved.

On March 2, 2017, I received a text message from AT&T indicating 75% of my 15Gb of data had been used, followed by a message that 90% of my data had been used. That was the first day of my billing cycle. I reached 100% the following morning, and I am currently using the 3rd extra Gb of data (at an overage expense of $15/each).

I have had this plan since January 2016 with 3 phones lines. I added a 4th line (tablet) and upgraded one of the phones in June 2016. I have never had overage charges with this plan. In fact, I usually rollover about 4Gb/mo.

One of the lines (Samsung S7 Active) typically uses 8Gb per month. The other lines (iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S) typically record less than 2Gb each. We rarely use the tablet at all.

When I checked the MyAT&T app for data usage stats, I found that ALL OF MY DEVICES were recording data usage typical for an entire 30-day billing cycle on the first day of our new cycle. There has been no change in usage on our part. All of the devices have been checked and cleared at our local AT&T store.

I have spoken to 10 different CSR and IT reps with AT&T, and the only solution I have been offered (even from tech support!) is to upgrade to one of the new unlimited plans. I have a case open now, but I'm not optimistic that I will hear anything new. I am planning to file complaints with the BBB and FCC.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

This has happen to me as well. After all day on the phone someone admitted there seemed to be a computer issue. With me, my current bill showed no usage for Feb. However the total usage from my Jan. bill was added to the beginning of my current (March) cycle. Hope they fix this because I am not paying for overages.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Our data usage spiked from 5 GB per month to 12 GB per month suddenly about
1 1/2 years ago. I called ATT 4 or 5 times to ask for help resolving the
issue. I did everything they suggested with only limited results (the usage
would go down to 8 or 9 GB per month if we stopped using the problem phone
for everything but calls and email).

Eventually I was forced to buy a larger data plan. I would have switched
carriers, but one family member can only get a ATT cell signal at work (no
service for Verizon Sprint, etc.).

It's a fine idea to lodge a complaint, but I don't believe anything will be
done.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@a2lyons Your phone is what uses the data. AT&T can't make your phone use more data on you.

If you check your phone settings, you can see exactly how much each app uses. With this you should be able to figure out which apps use the most data. Then you can choose to buy more data or not, instead of being "forced" to buy more data.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@exodus

How much data do the phones say they used?

If the phones are recording substantially less (normal) data use, please take screen shots on all and take the proof to an ATT store and get some help.   

While it's rare, it may be a problem with ATT computer recording of your data use.  

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Do you work for AT&T. The question
is not about what apps are using the most data, the question is why after 8 years would someone go over there plan 2 months in a row when nothing they do changed. And interestingly it's not just me, it's lots of people with
the same 2 months. Myself and another person on this site both were
notified on March 2nd that we had
already used 75% of our data for the
month of March.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Leona8

This is a community forum, so no, not employees or it would say so below our screen name.

Why is unknown without more information from you.

Your phone is an independant meter of your data use.  You need to see if ATT and your ohone have the same (or very close) totals.   

what do the phones have recorded in settings under data usage?   Which apps use substantial data?

Are all phones on the account effected?

In 3 years my data for my family plan has ranged from 9 to 24 gigs in a month.  Only one month was my total not within a few MBs of ATT totals.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.