The new iPhone 15
alexpatel's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 30th, 2016 5:12 PM

Straight Talk Iphone 5S - will it work with AT&T sim card?

I am planning to buy Straight talk Iphone 5s from walmart and planning to use with AT&T. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Apple-iPhone-5S-16GB-4G-LTE-Prepaid-Smartphone/50285046?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227039148888&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=90379843952&wl4=pla-182536175312&wl5=9023454&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=50285046&wl13=&veh=sem

My Question is will it work? I am planning to use with AT&T straight out of box. Straight talk iphone 5s is on sale for $144 vs. AT&T Go phone iphone 5s is for %199. I am just trying to save $50. Do you see any issue with this? Anything i need to verify to make sure it works with AT&T sim card?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Like any promotion, ST is offering a $150 phone so you have to buy their service.  It would be locked to ST.  

Accepted Solution

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

2 years ago

We see this thread is getting a lot of views and wanted to add additional information and resources on top of what the ACE provided. 

For a non-AT&T device to work on AT&T's Wireless Network, it must have the right hardware, software, and be unlocked. You also must submit a device unlock request through the original carrier. 

Because of the recent 3G Sunset, some devices that may have worked, may not work anymore. That is because the 3G signal has been turned off. In some instances, some devices will still work on AT&T's 4G Network if it has compatible hardward/ software. If it does not, even an unlocked device may not work. Our 3G Sunset article has more information. 

Most branded devices are locked to their carrier. This means you must reach out or visit your carrier's unlock site. For example, you can request to unlock an AT&T device as long as it meets unlock eligibility

AT&T Community Team

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

It would be locked to ST, Probably for 6 months, just like ATT phones.

BTW, ATT has the same offer with $45 aircard.

https://www.att.com/cellphones/iphone/iphone-5s-prepaid.html#sku=sku7920691

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

the only problem is i do not need $45 aircard because right now i am using lg phone on at&t. So i already have at&t service - jut want to switch phone from lg to iphone 5s.

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

7 years ago

StraightTalk uses either Verizon or AT&T networks. (At least in Ohio) Good possibility it may already work on the AT&T network without any changes.

Just ask them which network the phone works on. I know it one point I bought a straight talk phone and requested a Verizon phone and they were able to pick a Verizon model.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am looking to do the same thing.  Did this work for you?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I cannot afford to go the AT&T route & wonder if I can remove the AT&T Sim card & replace it with one I can buy from Boostmobile for $20?                                                                                                                                                                                                     Tia,           dave alan:manfrustrated:

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.