Stolen iPhone

Tutor

Stolen iPhone

I had an iPhone stolen and I reported it to AT&T, I am assuming this means the SIM has been disabled. If someone finds it, will they be able to put in a new SIM, if they have AT&T and will I be notified or will they be stopped from activating? I'm not sure if AT&T can do anything about preventing future use of my phone. I don't mind, as long as it isn't on my line.

Message 1 of 22 (10,933 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Stolen iPhone

there tptally correct have you never been on flebay seen a Blocked phone in the UK sold as barred here and will ship abroad?

maybe the US is different for barring mobiles then?
meaning the IMEI isnt blocked? they sure are here Mate!
Message 16 of 22 (8,041 Views)
ACE - Expert

The only IMEIs that are blocked are not GSM, they are CDMA. AT&T has never blacklisted an IMEI, thus the reason for so many stolen smartphones.
Verizon will blacklist an IMEI. not AT&T.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 22 (8,034 Views)
Scholar

lol I would hope ATT would deliver that eventually then
especially in todays climate!

I think it helps alot but the phone can just be sold onto another country
and it will work there which suxx really

but it gives the owner the happyiness who'ever
took it then it wont work afterward lol
Message 18 of 22 (7,989 Views)
Professor

People have been complaining about AT&T not blacklisting IMEIs for years, especially after the first iPhone was released over 4 years ago and they became hot targets for theft. Today's climate isn't much different than it has been in the past few years, so it seems unlikely that there is a sudden change coming. Unless the federal government passes a law requiring cell phone companies to blacklist IMEIs (like in many foreign countries), it seems a unlike that AT&T will suddenly see the light and do it on their own.
Message 19 of 22 (7,980 Views)
Expert

dwill05 wrote:
People have been complaining about AT&T not blacklisting IMEIs for years, especially after the first iPhone was released over 4 years ago and they became hot targets for theft. Today's climate isn't much different than it has been in the past few years, so it seems unlikely that there is a sudden change coming. Unless the federal government passes a law requiring cell phone companies to blacklist IMEIs (like in many foreign countries), it seems a unlike that AT&T will suddenly see the light and do it on their own.

Blacklisting in Europe does nothing, it only prevents the phone from being used in the country it was black listed in, the phone can be shipped or sold out of country and activated with no problem

Message 20 of 22 (7,969 Views)
Tutor

Well I signed a contract with att got five phones left them in a car the next day gone! My phones better be on blacklist... Att sold me insurance that was junk they were buy one get one free! Nope I have to pay for them all! And att won't do anything thing for me... I am very. Unsatisfied with AT&T they suck... Checking on sprint soon!!! : )
Message 21 of 22 (419 Views)
ACE - Master

@PSnow1 wrote:
Well I signed a contract with att got five phones left them in a car the next day gone! My phones better be on blacklist... Att sold me insurance that was junk they were buy one get one free! Nope I have to pay for them all! And att won't do anything thing for me... I am very. Unsatisfied with AT&T they suck... Checking on sprint soon!!! : )

No, you purchased 5 phones (no contract).

Did you insure all 5? Did they not cover your phones? (Why is it junk?)

I'm not even going to ask "why would you leave 5 new phones in your car?"...

How is this AT&T's fault? They didn't leave them in your car. Nor did they take them...

[The (very) fine print:
When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".
This helps other people to find an answer more quickly. This is the AT&T community forum (not AT&T support). Please keep in mind that just because my answer doesn't solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...]
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 22 (403 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.