Stolen iPhone

Tutor

Stolen iPhone

I had an iPhone stolen and I reported it to AT&T, I am assuming this means the SIM has been disabled. If someone finds it, will they be able to put in a new SIM, if they have AT&T and will I be notified or will they be stopped from activating? I'm not sure if AT&T can do anything about preventing future use of my phone. I don't mind, as long as it isn't on my line.

11,179 Views
Message 1 of 22
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Stolen iPhone

Here in the UK networks have the IMEI Numbers so are able to block phones when stolen etc

would of assumed networks in the US were the same

Message 11 of 22
Expert

Re: Stolen iPhone


Kerry78 wrote:

Here in the UK networks have the IMEI Numbers so are able to block phones when stolen etc

would of assumed networks in the US were the same


only in your same country, the phone can be transported to the next country over and be used, not to mention the ramaprt cloning that is available. Dones;t work well over in europe either

Message 12 of 22
Professor

Re: Stolen iPhone


Kerry78 wrote:

Here in the UK networks have the IMEI Numbers so are able to block phones when stolen etc

would of assumed networks in the US were the same


It's not.  Some European countries have laws requiring phones to be unlocked.  The US does not, and unless there is a law or some other compelling reason to force the companies to unlock the phones, they won't.

Message 13 of 22
Scholar

Re: Stolen iPhone

once a phone is reported lost stolen it becomes barred on all networks
overhere if that case they sell them on ebay cos they will work in the US I keep seeing alot of this on eBay

ive never lost my phone or had it stolen though touchwood!
Message 14 of 22
Expert

Re: Stolen iPhone


Kerry78 wrote:
once a phone is reported lost stolen it becomes barred on all networks
overhere if that case they sell them on ebay cos they will work in the US I keep seeing alot of this on eBay

ive never lost my phone or had it stolen though touchwood!


not sure where you are getting your information, but you might just want to review the sources. They are incorrect.

Message 15 of 22
Scholar

Re: Stolen iPhone

there tptally correct have you never been on flebay seen a Blocked phone in the UK sold as barred here and will ship abroad?

maybe the US is different for barring mobiles then?
meaning the IMEI isnt blocked? they sure are here Mate!
Message 16 of 22
ACE - Expert

Re: Stolen iPhone

The only IMEIs that are blocked are not GSM, they are CDMA. AT&T has never blacklisted an IMEI, thus the reason for so many stolen smartphones.
Verizon will blacklist an IMEI. not AT&T.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 22
Scholar

Re: Stolen iPhone

lol I would hope ATT would deliver that eventually then
especially in todays climate!

I think it helps alot but the phone can just be sold onto another country
and it will work there which suxx really

but it gives the owner the happyiness who'ever
took it then it wont work afterward lol
Message 18 of 22
Professor

Re: Stolen iPhone

People have been complaining about AT&T not blacklisting IMEIs for years, especially after the first iPhone was released over 4 years ago and they became hot targets for theft. Today's climate isn't much different than it has been in the past few years, so it seems unlikely that there is a sudden change coming. Unless the federal government passes a law requiring cell phone companies to blacklist IMEIs (like in many foreign countries), it seems a unlike that AT&T will suddenly see the light and do it on their own.
Message 19 of 22
Expert

Re: Stolen iPhone


dwill05 wrote:
People have been complaining about AT&T not blacklisting IMEIs for years, especially after the first iPhone was released over 4 years ago and they became hot targets for theft. Today's climate isn't much different than it has been in the past few years, so it seems unlikely that there is a sudden change coming. Unless the federal government passes a law requiring cell phone companies to blacklist IMEIs (like in many foreign countries), it seems a unlike that AT&T will suddenly see the light and do it on their own.


Blacklisting in Europe does nothing, it only prevents the phone from being used in the country it was black listed in, the phone can be shipped or sold out of country and activated with no problem

Message 20 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support